The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Yeast - No Hydration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Col_klink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Dry Yeast - No Hydration

All,
I am going to try the PM version of EdWorts Haus Pale Ale tomorrow. I noticed in his recipe, it says "no hydration" in reference to pitching the yeast. Two questions:

1) Does this mean, just dump the dry yeast on top of the wort in the fermentor?

2) Do I need to stir (or shake) the yeast into the wort or just dump them in and put on the airlock?

Thanks in advance for any input.

-Klink

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
KepowOb
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you're not rehydrating your yeast, try to sprinkle it evenly over the wort to avoid clumping.

I know the directions from Fermentis (makers of US-05 and S-04), suggest either hydrating, or sprinkling over your wort, waiting 30-minutes and then gently stirring.

My first batch I simply sprinkled US-05 on top and closed up the fermentor and it was going fine within 12 hours. I've since followed their directions of stirring after 30-min. Generally also kicks off after 12 hours. I meant to rehydrate my last batch, but I had my 2-year old hanging on me, so I just sprinkled it on and left it. Took at bit longer than the others (24hrs), but it's Nottingham, so I also had it at a cooler temperature. It's also bubbling away without issue.

There have been a number of debates here on what you should do. Personally I think it's best to follow the manufacture's instructions (I figure they say you should rehydrate for a reason), but it'll work either way.

Drinking: Orange Saison
Bottle conditioning: Nothing :(
Fermenting: RIS, APA

Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I guess that just means to sprinkle it on the wort.

What gravity is this recipe supposed to be? If it's a sub-1.050 brew, you'll probably get away with killing a portion of the dry cells by not rehydrating. Personally, I'd rehydrate since it very easy to do.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Col_klink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. The recipe is supposed to be 1.051 so maybe that's why it says no hydration. But I'm with you, I think i will rehydrate per the manufacturer's directions. Seems like its really just a matter of lag time anyway and like you said, it's easy to do. Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
IvanTheTerribrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

Here's a link to Craigtube about the debate of stirring in or sprinkling.

http://youtu.be/FuZH_OqwjXs
I personally always either make a starter or rehydrate. It really is super easy to rehydrate so I don't see any reason not to do it if you're already doing all the work of brewing.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

I wouldn't worry about rehydration (never do) and just follow Ed's directions. We can have an even longer debate about craigtube and his advice, then rehydrating yeast....

Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I rehydrate and never seem to have a problem. Heck I once made a starter w dry yeast as I didn't realize you really weren't supposed to... it worked out fine for my RIS.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 44

And even though you might make beer by doing this, you are wreaking havoc on your yeast by not rehydrating first.

There is a reason there are rehydration instructions on the package. Per the book Yeast, by Chris White (of White Labs ... who also has a Ph.d in yeast science):

Quote:
While most commercial brewers rehydrate their dry yeast before pitching, many homebrewers just sprinkle the dry yeast on top of their wort. Perhaps they read it in a book, or their local expert told them rehydration was not necessary. Technically, the beer will ferment if you pitch enough nonrehydrated yeast, but you are not giving the yeast an opportunity to make the best beer possible. Skipping rehydration kills about half the cells pitched. Besides only having half as much yeast needed, the dead cells immediately begin to break down and affect the beer flavor. Why would anyone recommend skipping rehydration?
Words to live by.

[edit] I don't have Palmer's book in front of me, but he goes into a little more detail about why/how direct pitching kills dry yeast. I don't remember exactly, but I think it has something to do with the presence/concentration of sugar in the wort impeding the rehydration process for the mummified cells.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

We can all do what we want. But you can pull up data saying just the opposite.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/1/a/e/1aeeb08...3&c_id=3529671

"For quite some years there is a debate amongst home brewers whether or not dry yeast should be hydrated before
pitching. Some even state that sprinkling dry yeast on wort would lead to a decrease in cell viability by 60 to
70%.
Based on the historic data desktop research and the experiments that were performed using different yeasts I
conclude that hydration of yeast is not needed to make a good beer. It does not lead to higher degrees of
fermentation. On the contrary, the historic data research showed that the average brewer obtained lower degrees
of fermentation upon hydration of dry yeast. The historic data research showed that for 9 out of 12 yeast
hydration lead to significant lower degrees of fermentation."

"Based on the described data it is recommended not to hydrate dry yeast since this may cause risks when not
carried out in the proper way. Even when hydrating the yeast one might wonder what the benefit will be over the
extra effort and risk."

Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Col_klink
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

wow I didn't realize there was so many different schools of thought on this. interesting.

Quick Reply