Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry yeast to make a starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
arborman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Dry yeast to make a starter?

I bought a yeast starter kit yesterday from my LHBS, and they sold me some us-05 and danstar dry yeast and said it was fine to use as a starter. Is this good advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 153

People don't always make starters with dry yeast. But give any yeast the right conditions and you can grow as much as you want. There are usually more cells in dry yeast compared to the sometimes low viability of liquid yeast.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Just rehydrate it, no starter necessary

Kegged empty

Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #4
AWNbrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I read somewhere that most dry yeast companies accomidate to the fact that the yeast is probably going to just be sprinkled into the wort as is so they put more in the package. I do not have the link where I read that, with that being said. Just RAHAHB do what the package of yeast says. If it says sprinkle into wort, then sprinkle into wort, if it says to rehydrate in water at 105 degrees for 15 minutes then do just that. IF you hungry for a more involved method, build a stir plate (its a TON cheaper tha purchasing one) and make a starter using liquid yeast. I have made 1 starter using liquid yeast and a stir plate. OMG The lag time wasnt really long enough to be called lag time. Im talking less than 6 hours it was booming!!!! My flask broke and I have not been able to make starters so I have just been folowing directions on the packages but I just purchased a flask and now startes are goin to happen again!

In Primary: Nothing :(
In secondary: Nothing :(
Bottled : Irish Red ale

Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1402 Times on 1016 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWNbrewer View Post
I read somewhere that most dry yeast companies accomidate to the fact that the yeast is probably going to just be sprinkled into the wort as is so they put more in the package. I do not have the link where I read that, with that being said. Just RAHAHB do what the package of yeast says. If it says sprinkle into wort, then sprinkle into wort, if it says to rehydrate in water at 105 degrees for 15 minutes then do just that. IF you hungry for a more involved method, build a stir plate (its a TON cheaper tha purchasing one) and make a starter using liquid yeast. I have made 1 starter using liquid yeast and a stir plate. OMG The lag time wasnt really long enough to be called lag time. Im talking less than 6 hours it was booming!!!! My flask broke and I have not been able to make starters so I have just been folowing directions on the packages but I just purchased a flask and now startes are goin to happen again!
From what I understand, dry yeast should always be rehydrated, or you end up with half the pitch you should have.

When pitching rehydrated dry yeast, starters aren't usually necessary unless you're pitching a big beer. And in that case, it's often cheaper just to use two packs.

That said, I don't know of a reason why you CAN'T make a dry yeast starter, but it's so cheap that it's not really worth it.

Up Next: Best Bitter, English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 01-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #6
grimzella
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 46

i dunno about half as much...? ..!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #7
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1402 Times on 1016 Posts
Likes Given: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimzella View Post
i dunno about half as much...? ..!
At least according to the JZ/Chris White "Yeast" book, pitching unhydrated dry yeast will kill approximately half of the pitch.

Up Next: Best Bitter, English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
grimzella
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 46

that seems a bit much, maybe thats why so much is in the packet then.. but i know many who just sprinkle with great\fast starts.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
At least according to the JZ/Chris White "Yeast" book, pitching unhydrated dry yeast will kill approximately half of the pitch.
Well, I just pitch it on the top of the wort myself. Read EdWorts Haus Ale thread and see how he uses it in one of the most (if not the most brewed) recipe on site. YMMV, but with dry yeast I just toss it in. I do rehydrate when making bread though

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimzella
that seems a bit much, maybe thats why so much is in the packet then.. but i know many who just sprinkle with great\fast starts.
I'm sure sprinkling works in most brews because the required pitch rate is still enough even with only half of them surviving the pitch. Brew a bigger beer or have some other variables less than optimal, and you're asking for problems. Rehydrating is an easy, simple step that preserves more of the yeast in the packet, why fight it?

Quick Reply