Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry yeast expiration?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
brad97z
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry yeast expiration?

I recently brewed my first batch of beer which was a brewers best RIS kit. The kit had been sitting around for about a year and a half. I brewed it two weeks ago now. The kit came with nottingham dry yeast, before pitching i rehydrated per the instructions on the packet in 90-100F water 30min prior to brew and pitched it at the same temp as the wort. Now, after two weeks, i took a gravity reading and the beer is at 1.030, starting was 1.074, which doesn't seem like a very good attenuation rate. The air lock hasn't had any movement (glass carboy) in a while, i tried giving the carboy a little shake to stir the yeast back up but am still not getting any airlock activity. As far as aerating the wort before pitching, i transferred the wort to the carboy by pouring from the kettle through a funnel which whipped quite a bit of air into the beer, i didn't bother to shake the carboy beyond this but looking back maybe it wouldn't have been a bad idea. The things i was wondering about where:

Could the low attenuation be caused by the yeast being over a year old?

Will pitching another packet of yeast help things out?

I have read around of people using aquarium pumps to aerate their beer, does anybody have experience with this? Am i right in assuming that there might be the potential for infection with this method, pumping external air throught the wart. Or, is there some kind of filter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad97z View Post

I have read around of people using aquarium pumps to aerate their beer, does anybody have experience with this? Am i right in assuming that there might be the potential for infection with this method, pumping external air throught the wart. Or, is there some kind of filter?
Shaking it for a good 5 minutes is as or more effective than pumping air through it via a pump (and yes, there is an inline HEPA filter involved to prevent nasties from entering the wort when using a pump).

The two mistakes you made was using old ingredients and not aerating properly. Check http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Arcane...mentation_101/ for suggestions on how to fix the situation.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 05-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Before you add air, especially since it's been awhile and you would probably oxydize the heck out of your beer, have you actually taken a hydrometer reading....that is the only way to know what's going on...the airlock or lack of activity is NOT

Revvy's Blog; Think Evaluation before Action.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
kryolla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

with an OG of 1.074 I would of pitched 2 dry yeast packs and aerated the crap out of it preferably with o2

Old 05-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't think a RIS is a beer to hurry. Give it a month then rack it and give it another month. Warm it up a little. Sing to it.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
Sing to it.
Oh crap...where is the "songs for your yeast" thread when you need it?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Newsman Likes This 

Quick Reply