Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry vs. Liquid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
joe6pack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry vs. Liquid

Is there a very noticeable difference in taste between identical beers made with the same yeast strain, one liquid, one dry?

I know there is more choice in yeast strains with the liquid, but other than that, why is it worth it?

Please enlighten me

I give up trying to keep this signature current.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

No difference, as you said there's just more varieties available in liquid form. I only use liquid yeast when I'm making a style that depends on a certain strain of yeast that's only available as a liquid. 75% or more of the time I use dry yeast, most often Safale US-05.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 03-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Really?

Really?

Reeeeeeeealy?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-p...alysis-109318/

Old 03-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if a clean ale yeast is called for it's a dry yeast that is needed. 99% of the time US-05.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
drayman86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe6pack View Post
I
I know there is more choice in yeast strains with the liquid, but other than that, why is it worth it?

Please enlighten me
Seems to be a matter of preference and ease of use. IMHO:

Look at the variety of White Labs yeasts available vs. dry. More varietals = more possibilities. Yeasts have over 500 chemicals they produce during metabolism that can impart flavor, mouthfeel, aroma, accentuate hop bitterness, etc. More types of yeasts that are available form White Labs just allows for greater flexibility and possibilities.

Also, liquid yeasts allow for the preparation of a starter. I never brew w/o a starter from a liquid yeast, and it shows. My lag times are typically 6 hours or less, my beers ferment to completion in less than 3-4 days, and my attenuations are always superb.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drayman86 View Post
Also, liquid yeasts allow for the preparation of a starter. I never brew w/o a starter from a liquid yeast, and it shows. My lag times are typically 6 hours or less, my beers ferment to completion in less than 3-4 days, and my attenuations are always superb.
You can make a starter with dry yeast also. No one really does, because it's usually easier/faster/cheaper/safer to just pitch 2 packets.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

2 packets? Hell, I'm too cheap to do that. For a normal gravity beer one is enough. I just rehydrate and pitch.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Generally in most beers, I do the same. But if your Mr Malty says you need 220 billion yeast cells for your 1.065 RIS, the additional time, effort, risk, and cost associated with making a starter as compared to just pitching two packs of Nottingham just isn't worth it for me.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
You can make a starter with dry yeast also. No one really does, because it's usually easier/faster/cheaper/safer to just pitch 2 packets.
No, no one make a starter with dry yeast, because that would cause an increased lag. The eyast would use up their reserves and there really wouldn't be any advantage whatsoever. You only need 2 packets when you go above 15 gallons(or super high gravity)... at least with the fermentis products. With 5 gallons and dry yeast and a medium to slgihtly highly gravity beer, you really are overpitching.

Last edited by z987k; 03-20-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
With 5 gallons and dry yeast and a medium to slgihtly highly gravity beer, you really are overpitching.
Agreed, but I don't think that's necessarily true with big beers. As we pointed out, for most normal beers a single packet of dry yeast will work best. For something big, a single packet just might not cut it. Also keep in mind that not all dry yeast comes in 11g packets. Several brands are packaged in 5g packets, which certainly wouldn't be ideal for a big beer.

Re-checking Mr Malty, it looks like you need to get the OG up to about 1.090 before two packets of 11g yeast would be viable (Mr Malty recommends 1.5 packets) but 3.4 packets of 5g yeast is the recommendation for the same OG.

Quick Reply