Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > dry malt extract vs. corn sugar for extract brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Tobyone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default dry malt extract vs. corn sugar for extract brewing

Hi everyone. So i am about to brew my 2nd batch of beer this weekend. This time I am doing a coopers pale ale (my first was the coopers IPA). On my first batch I used 2.2 lbs. of corn sugar in my wort as it called for in the directions. on all accounts everything has gone extremely smooth but on this batch I want to get away from the corn sugar and use light, dry malt extract. so my question is do I use the same amount of DME as corn sugar in my wort? the lady at the LHBS said to use 2 lbs. so that's what I bought along with some safale us-05 yeast and some cascade hop pellets. thanks for any input

Old 09-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6269 Times on 5441 Posts
Likes Given: 814

What are the rest of the ingredients for your kit?

Dextrose will ferment out completely (some say it can give a "cider" twang to beer if you use too much), while DME will give you more body and it won't ferment out as completely.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Tobyone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

there are no ingredients. it's a pre hopped extract (no boil) so it comes with the yeast (which I opted for a better yeast) and that's all. instructions call for 2.2 lbs. of dextrose or DME but doesn't give the amounts for DME unless it means the same amount as the dextrose. so not fermenting out completely means what? lower abv?

Old 09-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Pound per pound is about right... corn sugar gives you about 40 ppg and DME gives you about 44 ppg...

You'll notice a huge difference in the quality of your beer when you use DME instead of corn sugar...

Old 09-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyone View Post
there are no ingredients. it's a pre hopped extract (no boil) so it comes with the yeast (which I opted for a better yeast) and that's all. instructions call for 2.2 lbs. of dextrose or DME but doesn't give the amounts for DME unless it means the same amount as the dextrose. so not fermenting out completely means what? lower abv?
Corn sugar is 100% fermentable... but you don't want to ferment all the sugars in your beer. You want residual sugars to be left over which provide the malty sweetness in beer, and body to the beer...

Your beer with corn sugar probably felt watery... when you use DME, it will increase the body of beer and ABV might decrease a bit, but not to the point where you'll notice it...

Hope that helps...

Old 09-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

2.2lbs of corn sugar will get you to 1.018
2lbs od DME will get you to 1.017

This is considering a 5 gallon batch. So that was a good amount to sub.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Tobyone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks everyone. so i guess then i'll use the 2 lbs. of DME. it sounds like that shouldn't be to much for 6 gallons.

Quick Reply