New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry hopping with whole leaf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
TTodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry hopping with whole leaf

I transferred my beer to a carboy for secondary fermentation and am dry hopping with whole leaf hops (citra).

They are currently floating on top. I'm guessing that they will become saturated and then eventually be submerged. Is that what should happen? Or do I need to do something to get them to sink into the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTodd View Post
I transferred my beer to a carboy for secondary fermentation and am dry hopping with whole leaf hops (citra).

They are currently floating on top. I'm guessing that they will become saturated and then eventually be submerged. Is that what should happen? Or do I need to do something to get them to sink into the beer?
They don't usually sink. They just absorb some beer and still float on top. Just make sure the hops are in contact with the beer and don't worry about it. If you look at them, you'll see that they are actually wet and the beer can permeate them.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I did this once and it was a PITA, mostly to get the hops out of my carboy. They won't drop, they will likely stay on top. You can give a slight swirl to your carboy to try and encourage more to drop, but in the end you'll still be battling the hops.

When you go to rack to your bottling bucket, tie a santized hop bag to the end of your siphon. This will allow you to siphon better.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1072 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I dry hop with whole hops most of the time. They won't sink, but that makes it easier to rack the beer from under them. As longs they're soaked with beer, they're doing their job.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
TTodd
Recipes 

Another question on the dry hopping.....

So I have the whole leafs floating on top - they are nice and saturated. Since this is in secondary after 2 weeks of primary and all the fermentation is done - I'm assuming that I don't need an airlock and I can instead use one of these plugs with a flap that if for some reason there was a pressure buildup - it would allow it to escape through the tiny holes under the flap.

The reason I want to do this - is that I'm assuming that it would be good to swirl the beer around in there for better release of the hop flavoring into the beer. Is that a correct assumption - should I try to swirl it, or is that just unnecessary?

Thanks

Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTodd
Another question on the dry hopping.....

So I have the whole leafs floating on top - they are nice and saturated. Since this is in secondary after 2 weeks of primary and all the fermentation is done - I'm assuming that I don't need an airlock and I can instead use one of these plugs with a flap that if for some reason there was a pressure buildup - it would allow it to escape through the tiny holes under the flap.

The reason I want to do this - is that I'm assuming that it would be good to swirl the beer around in there for better release of the hop flavoring into the beer. Is that a correct assumption - should I try to swirl it, or is that just unnecessary?

Thanks
You should still use an airlock so gasses can escape but nothing gets in. Yes you can gently swirl the Carboy/bucket but as the hops saturate some will settle through the beer so IMO it's really not necessary to swirl.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTodd View Post
So I have the whole leafs floating on top - they are nice and saturated.
We use hop flowers. The leaves you are talking about are probably petals.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Ah yes,the sterile female flower that weeps for her lover in tears of lupulins. Sounds kinda familiar doesn't it? Remember from where? . I've found that they don't sink for the most part. The mass,even saturated,doesn't seem to be enough to overcome surface tension of the beer.
But not to worry! Have you ever made sun tea & watched it the first couple minutes? The tea bags saturate,& the brown tea swirls & sinks down into the clear water column By convection. Same with lupulin oils in beer from floating hops,weather loose or in a hop sack.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Usually, when I use whole hops for dry hopping, I sanitize a muslin bag in boiling water and add a 1-2 oz. steel ball bearing that is sanitized to the bag with the hops. Tie it shut, drop it in my bucket, it sinks the hops and also keeps them out of the way when I am transfering the beer later.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

I use muslin grain sacks for raw or "whole leaf" hops,as they have greater volume per the same weight as pellets. But I let them float after submeging them a couple times with my paddle to soak them. Works fine per convection.

Quick Reply