HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > dry hopping with simcoe and cascade?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
zodiak3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default dry hopping with simcoe and cascade?

anybody have experience with dry hopping these 2? what kind of results did you get? pine and citrus?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

yes, citrus and cat pee. They are great!

Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I dry hopped an IPA with simcoe pellets. I notice a bit of pine, not so much on the citrus. However, the main thing I notice is that "catty" character. People say it's like a cat urine quality. To me it's something more like kitty liter. Even fresh kitty liter has the same quality, so I'm not sure it's really urine.

Honestly, that description makes it sound undrinkable, but I think it's quite good in the beer. It also seems to have faded a bit with time.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I should also clarify. I don't have my notes, but my dry hop with Simcoe was made up of half Centenial. I THINK it was Centenial. I'd really have to look back at my logs. Anyway, seems like it might work best along with a supporting hop.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Beehemel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm about to dry hop my Imperial Red with Simcoe, Cascade and Centennial. I've heard Simcoe described as Cascade on steroids, so Those will be similar. I have also found that if you use large amounts of Simcoe with nothing else to balance it, it will be catty like others have mentioned, but that doesn't mean it's bad. If you're looking for a more piney smell, I think Chinook may be something to try. My India Brown contains Simcoe and Amarillo and it is wonderful!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

the reason i picked simcoe was cause alot of ipa's i love use it in late additions and dry hopping. none of which i really can detect a "cat" scent from. maybe that catty sh!t comes from overkill on the simcoe and not enough variation. either way, ive heard its a great hop and ill be finding out what i got when i bottle on saturday..

Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiak3000 View Post
the reason i picked simcoe was cause alot of ipa's i love use it in late additions and dry hopping. none of which i really can detect a "cat" scent from. maybe that catty sh!t comes from overkill on the simcoe and not enough variation. either way, ive heard its a great hop and ill be finding out what i got when i bottle on saturday..
how about if I replace the term cat pea with kind bud. Does that descriptor work better.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
how about if I replace the term cat pea with kind bud. Does that descriptor work better.
haha niceeee, ive heard that about simcoe as well. my sister came over when i was steeping my bittering columbus and thought we were smokin nugs. i think ill do a dry hop w/ those next time as well..

Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

citra = kind bud

speaking of which, i figured out a way to infuse it into homebrew. PM me for details.

Quick Reply