Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hopping & Sanitization Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
NJtarheel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Dry Hopping & Sanitization Question

All,
I have one batch under my belt with good success. I dry hopped this batch using a suggestion from a forum member. I placed the hops in a grain bag and weighed it down with 5 sanitized marbles. Worked great! (The bag actualy floated to the top when I bottled a week later)

QUESTION: I sanitized the grain bag in Idofor and rinsed it with city tap water prior to dropping it in the batch. Is this required? Can I just sanitize the marbles and go with it? I am concerned that leftover idofor will ruin the batch. What is the preferred method of dry hopping?

Fermenting: Northern Brewers Chinook IPA

Thanks again.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im about 90% sure that Idofor is a no rinse cleaner so you dont need to run tap water after using it.

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I put marbles in a bag, dunk in sanitizer for a minute or two and then fill with hops and go for it.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
fastengine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge421 View Post
Im about 90% sure that Idofor is a no rinse cleaner so you dont need to run tap water after using it.
Idophor contains Iodine== Poisonous
Using 1/4 oz in 2.5 gal. of water, you can soak items for 2 minutes and then let air dry, according to the bottle. I wouldn't use it if it didn't dry first to evaporate the iodine.

If you rinsed you should be good to go but I would use starsan in the future for hop bags and weights. It is a food grade acid used in the beverage industry.

Last edited by fastengine; 03-18-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtarheel View Post
All,
I have one batch under my belt with good success. I dry hopped this batch using a suggestion from a forum member. I placed the hops in a grain bag and weighed it down with 5 sanitized marbles. Worked great! (The bag actualy floated to the top when I bottled a week later)

QUESTION: I sanitized the grain bag in Idofor and rinsed it with city tap water prior to dropping it in the batch. Is this required? Can I just sanitize the marbles and go with it? I am concerned that leftover idofor will ruin the batch. What is the preferred method of dry hopping?

Fermenting: Northern Brewers Chinook IPA

Thanks again.....
When diluted with water as per the directions, there is no need to rinse the Idophor. I never rinse and have had no issues with taste, smell or killing yeast. Heres a pretty good test done by Robert Arguello of Bay Area Mashers. http://www.bayareamashers.org/conten...s/iodophor.htm
If it makes you feel better to rinse after using by all means that's fine too.

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 03-18-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
Gldnst8warrior
Recipes 

Why all the extra steps? I just drop my hops right into the carboy "no bags no marbles" a week before I plan to keg or bottle. By the end of a week the hops settle down to the bottom and I rack. I use a racking cane with a tip and have been very happy with the results.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
NJtarheel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gldnst8warrior View Post
Why all the extra steps? I just drop my hops right into the carboy "no bags no marbles" a week before I plan to keg or bottle. By the end of a week the hops settle down to the bottom and I rack. I use a racking cane with a tip and have been very happy with the results.
Thanks. I was wondering if the hops would settle out. I to have a racking cane with a tip. It would certainly be easier. Was just concerned about the hops floating about in the batch.

Talking about extra steps, I don't bother with secondary fermentation. I am assuming the non-bagging method is still ok????

Old 03-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
Gldnst8warrior
Recipes 

Yea per this forum I also stopped racking to secondary. I normally just leave in primary for on average 3-4 weeks longer for some brews though. Then if I am dry hopping I just give everything a quick spray with Star san pop the top and drop my hops right in. After a week they settle down to the bottom and everything is good to go.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My IPA's use 3oz's of pellets for dry hopping. I don't use any bags, just rack on top of the hops. For a 7 day dry hop schedule, I go 5 days at 65F and then cold crash for the last 48 hours (35F). Hops always sink and the beer is crystal clear. You also don't have to secondary, this works fine doing a primary only.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

I just soak my hop bag in a small sauce pan containing a small amount of boiling water. Just a min or so. Then add pellets,tie & drop it in. No worries.

Quick Reply