The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > dry hopping in primary/ bottling bucket? ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
bwookie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default dry hopping in primary/ bottling bucket? ?

I have 2 questions as I am looking into getting my equipment soon and want little oop and less hassle with storage/sanitation.

1. For dry hopping in a primary, what is the best method?
2. Do you need a 2nd bucket (I'm going for 5gal. Batches) for bottling, or can you bottle from the primary?

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 88

My answer will actually cover both #1 and #2, sooooo:

It's best to check the schedule of your brew before determining dry-hop schedules. In other words, let's say you have a brew that's scheduled to ferment for 4 weeks with 1 week dry-hopping. With my experience, you want no more than 7 days to dry-hop, so that would mean 3 weeks in primary, rack to a secondary, then dry-hop for 7 days before bottling/kegging. I'm not too big on using secondaries unless I dry hop.

As for methodology, it all depends on whether you use whole, plug or pellet hops. If you're using whole, then avoid using any sort of carboy at ALL COSTS!! (Speaking from experience here...2 lbs. of whole hops into a carboy...that was bad times...) Pellet & plugs (to a lesser extent) are the easiest to dry-hop with, and standard buckets make it an absolute cakewalk. Your best option is to get at least 2 plastic fermenter buckets, both with a spigot, and 1 for bottling (only if you bottle).

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 10-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
CoalCreekBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambledegg81 View Post
My answer will actually cover both #1 and #2, sooooo:

It's best to check the schedule of your brew before determining dry-hop schedules. In other words, let's say you have a brew that's scheduled to ferment for 4 weeks with 1 week dry-hopping. With my experience, you want no more than 7 days to dry-hop, so that would mean 3 weeks in primary, rack to a secondary, then dry-hop for 7 days before bottling/kegging. I'm not too big on using secondaries unless I dry hop.

As for methodology, it all depends on whether you use whole, plug or pellet hops. If you're using whole, then avoid using any sort of carboy at ALL COSTS!! (Speaking from experience here...2 lbs. of whole hops into a carboy...that was bad times...) Pellet & plugs (to a lesser extent) are the easiest to dry-hop with, and standard buckets make it an absolute cakewalk. Your best option is to get at least 2 plastic fermenter buckets, both with a spigot, and 1 for bottling (only if you bottle).
I also just started my first IPA, and am coming up on the 3 week mark. It sounds like going to a secondary is the way to go.
I am using pellet hops, so my question is this, put the pellets into the secondary first, then transfer, or transfer first, then dump the pellets, or does it matter?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
Schwind
Recipes 

I always add the pellets first and rack on top of them. This gets them mixed in with the beer sooner and allows them to "disintegrate." the pellets will form a green layer on top and look a little funky. This is normal.
Get a big strainer bag or pantyhose to go over your racking cane/autosiphon when you transfer to the bottling bucket to keep the hop sludge from getting in your beer.
Good luck and Enjoy!

5 Turns Vienna Lager
bottled:

Kegged: Barleywine, Lawn Chair Pilz

Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwookie View Post
I have 2 questions as I am looking into getting my equipment soon and want little oop and less hassle with storage/sanitation.

1. For dry hopping in a primary, what is the best method?
2. Do you need a 2nd bucket (I'm going for 5gal. Batches) for bottling, or can you bottle from the primary?

Thanks!!
1. Add the hops gently so they don't splash. I don't use a hops bag, but others do. Just make sure you sanitize the bag, if you're using one!

2. You don't want to bottle from the primary as when you stir in the priming solution you'll stir up all the trub and stuff that you've been waiting on to settle out. Rack to a new bottling bucket.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
CoalCreekBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwind View Post
I always add the pellets first and rack on top of them. This gets them mixed in with the beer sooner and allows them to "disintegrate." the pellets will form a green layer on top and look a little funky. This is normal.
Get a big strainer bag or pantyhose to go over your racking cane/autosiphon when you transfer to the bottling bucket to keep the hop sludge from getting in your beer.
Good luck and Enjoy!
Ahh, good idea, don't think green floaties would be to appealing in a beer.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

I use hop sacks or muslin grain bags for hopping,depending on whether I'm using pellets or raw (whole leaf) hops. Whole leaf or raw hops take up a heck of a lot more room,even though they're the same 1oz.
The sacks make things a lot cleaner,as I found out the last 2 brews where I added them loose to the boil. Even 2oz of raw hops is a big pile when straining into the fermenter. Darn thing got full,& tipped over into my freshly strained wort. good thing the fine mesh strainer produces a few inches of foam.
The hops mostly got stuck on it. So I could scoop it out with my long brew spoon. Bags good.

Quick Reply