Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry hopping in primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Eves
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dry hopping in primary?

I know typically people dry hop in secondaries (or at least thats what people talk about far more often). Can you dry hop using only a primary? If so, how do you do it? Just wait the final gravity is met and then toss it in and let it sit for days/weeks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There is an article in BYO that says the BEST time to dry hop is just after the big fermentation has started to slow down. Thus - yes. In fact I'm Dry hopping in 5 minutes. It's been 5 days in the primary.

The reason mentioned is that since hops, even pellet hops are not sterile (according to Mark Garetz "Using Hops") you have less risk of contamination at this point.

He points out that really - the only WRONG time to add hops is before fermentation.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Last edited by Grinder12000; 11-28-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The exact mantra on dry-hopping is subject to individual tastes, but from what I've ascertained...

...there are a number of reasons why a secondary is a preferred vessel for dry hopping -- but for all intents and purposes, yes, you can dry hop in a primary. Give your beer 3 weeks for primary fermentation and conditioning, and 1 week after the hops are added to the primary for dry hopping (4 weeks total). Feel free to add or subtract from the hop "contact time" as you feel necessary.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 11-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I prefer to dry-hop in the secondary simply for ease of mixing. I add a syrupy hops slurry - made with pellets and damn-near-boiling hot water - just after I start to rack the beer. The constant motion ensures the hops particles are well-dispersed in the beer.

YMMV!

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 11-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

There is the risk of infection if added before primary fermentation, and the general rule of thumb is that active fermentation / C02 tends to blow off and reduce the impact of the aroma. I either dry hop in secondary, or in the primary after 5 days or so and let it sit for at least three days or more.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The main concern with dry hopping is that primary fermentation is complete so the CO2 release doesn't blow off all the hop aroma. If you like oxidized beer go ahead rack it into a second vessel and run another risk of infection. If you like ease of use and fresh tasting beer throw those hops in the primary after fermentation is complete.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you're going to dry-hop in the primary, allow two to three weeks for fermentation then add the hops and sample after one week. If it's to your liking, go ahead and bottle. If not, wait a couple days and check it again.

Last edited by eddie; 11-28-2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: fending off the grammar whores.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
The main concern with dry hopping is that primary fermentation is complete so the CO2 release doesn't blow off all the hop aroma. If you like oxidized beer go ahead rack it into a second vessel and run another risk of infection. If you like ease of use and fresh tasting beer throw those hops in the primary after fermentation is complete.
If you have a good quality auto-syphon, there's no way you'll oxidize your brew racking to a secondary. Secondaries have been around so long; if there was any real risk in using them, they wouldn't be so popular.

Why do I use a secondary? A few reasons. The first is that when you open your primary after primary fermentation is complete, the CO2 blanket is removed from the airspace and filled with ambient atmosphere, which is rich in O2. In short, the risk of oxidation is much more real when dry hopping the primary, as a secondary has little or no airspace (and that airspace is quickly filled by out-gassing).

Also, a secondary allows for clearing that would not be possible in a primary, on top of a yeast cake (and fruit refuse in the case of fruit beers). One can keep the brew in a secondary indefinitely and not have to worry about autolysis. And the list goes on.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 11-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
If you like oxidized beer go ahead rack it into a second vessel and run another risk of infection.
You are kidding right?

I bet you don't put your hand out the window when you are in a car either LOL.

Seriously - I have never heard of anyone really oxidizing their beer with a secondary unless they are totally drunk and stupid. However - I'm on Tonedef131 side when dry hopping.

As you can see there are many schools of thought's - some experts say hop right after fermentation and some say in the secondary. Dealers Choice. there is no right answer.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Last edited by Grinder12000; 11-28-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2521 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 5683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
The first is that when you open your primary after primary fermentation is complete, the CO2 blanket is removed from the airspace and filled with ambient atmosphere, which is rich in O2.
Actually, since CO2 is heavier than air, the CO2 layer will stay in the primary fermenter, even after opening. There's really no risk of getting outside air in just from opening the primary. You'd have to really try to get air in there.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Quick Reply