Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hopping in primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
dierythmus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping in primary

Hi All,

I brewed the North Brewer’s Dead Ringer IPA extract kit yesterday and all went well. For the first time, I don’t plan on transferring to a secondary, but rather dry hop in my primary. Do I need to adjust the timing? I planned on leaving it in the primary for 2 weeks. Then the kit instructions say to transfer and leave in the secondary for another two weeks. Does this mean I should leave it in the primary for a total of 4 weeks, or do I not need the additional 2 weeks if I’m not transferring? I plan on dry hopping ~10 days before kegging.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1925 Times on 1693 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Let it hit a stable FG,then give it 3-7 days to clean up & settle out. Then dry hop. You want most of the yeast settled out so the hop oils don't coat the yeast cells & go to the bottom as well.
NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Doublebird
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree. Too early and you will not get the results you are looking for. I usually wait till the air lock slows down. If you cant check your gravity the bubbles on the air lock can give you a resonable time when to add.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1925 Times on 1693 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Or look at it & see if the krausen has fallen,& the beer appears to be clearing. Best yet,get a hydrometer. It's the only way to really know when fermentation is finished.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4356 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 847

I always dryhop for 5-7 days, right before packaging the beer. So I'd let it ferment, clear, and then a week before I want to bottle or keg, I add the dryhops to the fermenter.

It works great!

jsguitar Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I shoot for a week dry hop to bottling with an expectation that life can stretch me out for a few days beyond that before bottling. I've gone 2 weeks with friends saying they like that better but I like my shorter planned range better. That is just beer drinking talk though, I've never had one dumped out or abandoned.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you're doing for example a month long primary, and you plan on dryhopping for a week, you add your hops at the end of week three, and bottle at the end of week four.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

michael_mus Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
dhathazy
Recipes 

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this, it caught my eye because I plan on doing this (dry hopping in the primary) for the first time also with the brew I did yesterday. Planning to dry hop after two weeks in the primary. My sample that I took yesterday already has a good deal of sediment - I added hops directly to boil, no hop bag or anything. So when I do dry hop, can I use a hop bag or something to contain the additional sediment? If I do use a bag should I adjust by using more hops? Thanks much for any suggestions.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A bag can make racking to your bottling bucket easier especially if using whole hops. Be sure to sanitize the hop bag first. I just use my normal hop schedule when doing this. If your primary is a carboy using a bag for whole hops gets a little involved with installation and removal but it isn't a real big deal. For removal I made a hook out of a piece of defluxed 1/8" welding rod.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
dhathazy
Recipes 

I use a bucket so removal won't be a problem. I have never sanitized hop bag before haha, so dumb question - assuming I use a star san solution or just boil in water, I guess it doesn't matter if the bag itself is still wet or should I let it dry first? Also do you need to force the bag under the beer or just toss it in and let it float? Thanks.

Quick Reply