Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry hopping with pellets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
khkman22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Dry hopping with pellets

I plan on brewing Saturday and it will be my first time to dry hop. I bought leaf hops because I misunderstood an email response from AHS that wasn't clear and after receiving my package today, I see they include hops for dry hopping with the kit. However they are in pellet form and not leaf form. How should I do my dry hopping, just keep everything in the primary or rack to secondary? My primary is a bucket and secondary would be a carboy and if I put the hops in a muslin bag, I have read that they can be hard to get out once they expand. Would I be okay reusing my grain bag after rinsing it out on brew day and then boiling in water just before adding the dry hops? If I keep in primary, do I still keep in a muslin bag or just dump them in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
palys2
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have always dry hopped in my secondary, which is a carboy too. I don't use a muslin bag, I just pitch into the carboy. The pellet hops will settle on the bottom, and you can filter most out when you rack to your bottling bucket. Whatever's left will end up in the bottom of your bottling bucket, but it shouldn't be very much.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4479 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

I don't use a bag, but you can certainly do that if you want. Sanitize the bag, and patiently add it to the carboy as it's a PITA to add a bag of hops to a carboy!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 284

just dump in the primary.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

NZLunchie Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
Run_RMC
Recipes 

I dump the pellets right in my primary (which is a bucket like you). One thing I have heard is to try and add them when fermentation is just finishing up so the yeast can scrub up any oxygen you introduce but it has to be late enough in fermentation so the co2 doesn't strip all the hop are as out.

I like pellets because i know that all the hop matter is submerged in the beer unlike whole hops that tend to float. Its easy enough to rack to bottling bucket without picking up much hop material when using pellets.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #6
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run_RMC View Post
One thing I have heard is to try and add them when fermentation is just finishing up so the yeast can scrub up any oxygen you introduce but it has to be late enough in fermentation so the co2 doesn't strip all the hop are as out.

Noted.

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
NZLunchie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I throw pellets into a muslin bag and into the primary. I've never used a secondary and probably never will.

Follow me on Twitter
Check me out on Untappd
MMJfan Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
RoadKing
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wait 3-4 weeks until fermentation is done, put the hops in a 1 gallon paint strainer and add them right to primary, wait another 5 days and keg/bottle.
You want to make sure fermentation is done, otherwise the the aroma can escape with the cO2.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLunchie View Post
I throw pellets into a muslin bag and into the primary. I've never used a secondary and probably never will.
I too don't use a secondary unless it is a brew that doesn't require dry hopping and I need an extra fermenting bucket.

I use both pellets and whole leaf hops and I also use a muslin bag or a paint strainer bag. I usually add sanitized marbles to the bag for weight and tie the bag to my bucket handle using sanitized fishing line.

I've never tried dry hopping with pellets without a muslin hop sock, but I have tried it using whole leaf hops without a muslin sock and found it was a major PITA to rack my brew to the bottling bucket as my auto siphon kept getting clogged with floating hops and I ended up wasting about a gallong of good beer because of it?!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been wanting to try dry hopping with pellets, would you guys that do it say it's any different, flavor and aroma wise, from doing so with leaf? I'm assuming cold crashing the brew after a week would help the pellet trub drop to the bottom as well.

Quick Reply