The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hopping Mess up....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
btrhomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping Mess up....

Hi All! I am currently in my first batch of homebrew. I am brewing an American Pale Ale from an extract kit from Brewers Best.... I really wanted an IPA, but they ran out and I was impatient.... So I decided to dry hop it to add some more aroma and bitterness....

I got a 1oz bag of dried hops.... Not thinking I racked to the secondary carboy and I just dumped the dry hops on top.... Then I realized they were just going to sit there....

Any advice? Pretty much impossible to submerge them now.... Will this hurt anything? I didn't want to mix it at all because I thought getting oxgyen during this stage is bad....

Any advice?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 172

They will break apart and eventually settle to the bottom all on their own. This is how a lot of us dry hop--just dump it in.

That being said, you will gain zero bitterness from a dry hop. Bitterness is only obtained by putting the hops in the boil. The longer they boil, the more bitterness you obtain. Dry hopping is for aroma only.

Kegged: The Weevil Dead IIPA | Tornado Warning Imperial Stout | Prepare To Die Porter

Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral
They will break apart and eventually settle to the bottom all on their own. This is how a lot of us dry hop--just dump it in.

That being said, you will gain zero bitterness from a dry hop. Bitterness is only obtained by putting the hops in the boil. The longer they boil, the more bitterness you obtain. Dry hopping is for aroma only.
+1 on all points. The hops are totally fine, your technique is fine. You just won't get any bitterness.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

That's pretty much what I do all the time!

The idea is that the beer permeates through the hops. They don't usually sink, as they still float on top if they are whole hops, but you can rack from under them. No worries!

Quick Reply