Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hopping & Infections

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Fuzzyfella
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping & Infections

I have an ESB in primary and was thinking about dry hopping it for a week, but was worried about any infection from the hops. Is there any treatment I need to give the hops to ensure that they dont ruin the beer or is there enough alcohol in the second week of primary to deal with any infections that might be passed on?

Many thanks,

Fuzzy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Makeyermark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just read something on this today. The hops have a natural anti-bacterial already, so you shouldn't have to worry about them infecting your beer. According to what I read, you should dry hop during the secondary fermentation process. Place the dry hops in a (santized) cheesecloth, drop into the bottom of the carboy and rack the beer over them, allowing them to float freely for a couple of weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply