Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hopping and Cold Crashing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
tozebeach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping and Cold Crashing?

I was wondering what effect cold crashing has on dry hopping. Should I wait till my dry hop period is over to cold crash? Should I remove the dry hops before cold crashing? Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
spiny_norman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What I do is dry hop for about 10 days (in primary), cold crash at 32 for 24 hours, add gelatin, leave another 5 or 6 days at 32. The hop debris will fall to the bottom and compact. This gets me crystal clear beer.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Nanobru
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Breweries typically drop the temp down to 60 for dry hopping for a period of 5 or so days, then cold crash at 40 to help drop the yeast out of suspension (Ales of course). You can keep the hops in while cold crashing, but I personally like to remove them because they can "catch" some yeast and other settlement on the way down. Its an extra step, and not necessarily a "have to" thing to do. All person preference and equipment capabilities. The longer the hops are in the tank, the more flavor to a certain point.

Spiny has a good method

Quick Reply