Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hopping - can you dry hop for to long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #21
doomXsaloon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
When I dry hopped in fermenter, I usually went about a week. Good results, but faded pretty fast (2oz and 3oz were tried). Since kegging I've simply been adding a nylon bag o' hops to the keg before it goes into the brew fridge for chilling and serving (when I want a dry hop addition). I leave the bag of hops in the keg for the duration, so it could be in there for 6-8 weeks. Keep in mind, this is at about 40F after the first 24 hours (time to chill it in the past).

So, if you're kegging, I would simply add the whole hops (or pellet hops) in a [sanitized] nylon hop bag to the keg right before you put it in to chill and carbonate. I would also go with the slow forced carbonation method (2-3 weeks at temperature and pressure) with this. That will give the dry hop addition the time needed to fully get into the brew.
So what is the science behind dry-hopping at colder vs. warmer temps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #22
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomXsaloon View Post
This is all speculative as I have not tested this myself:

I would imagine that dry hopping in the keg (cold) would result in a slower release of the hop aroma/flavor because the cold temp is preserving the natural state of the hops. But the keg is also sealed tightly which would trap in more of the aroma that is normally blown off by CO2 and inevitably lost when transferring the beer, which would normally be done after dry hopping.

As for warmer temps, I would say just the opposite. I would imagine that the aroma/flavor are released from the plant material more quickly, as higher temps usually speed up most any chemical process, and would also result in the hops biodegrading faster than at a cold temp. Some of the aroma must also be lost through the CO2 blow off and transferring the beer from the fermenter.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #23
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
For those of you who have AND have never experienced big grassy flavors (supposedly from an extended dryhop):

*How long are these beers fermenting AND conditioning prior to adding the dryhops?

*What specific hops are you using in the boil and the dryhop?

*Roughly how many total IBUs Tinseth do these beers contain?

*How much total kettle hops are you using (minus the dryhops) per 5 gallon batch?

*How old are the dryhops?

*What ratio of dryhops per oz. / per gallon of beer are you adding?

*Are you careful to avoid oxygenation when adding your dryhops?

*What temp. do you dryhop at?

*Are you heavy handed on your 90/60/45/30 minute additions? And light handed on your 15/10/5/0/DH additions?

*Do you experience grassiness after hopbursting with a ton of late boil hop additions in addition to a substantial, extended dryhop?

...Let's eliminate these factors before we jump the gun on what we think the cause may be. It could be a combination of these things and may or may not have nothing/something to do with dryhop length. If enough people answer, maybe we can find a pattern so we can understand why some people experience grassy, and why others do not.
Great point made here. Unfortunately, we'll never be able to get to the end of it on this website, true science doesn't work here very well.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #24
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Here are a couple of links to some interesting articles for those with some time on their hands:

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xm...pdf?sequence=1

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xm...dle/1957/34093

http://www.uvm.edu/extension/cropsoi...Hops_Aroma.pdf

http://inhoppursuit.blogspot.com/201...ters-holy.html

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #25
phatspade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thnx Duboman! Now I feel like taking my G.I. Bill and using it to help my hobby. Did you find this stuff by a simple internet search?

Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #26
victorbmellow
Recipes 

Thanks for all the responses. Great help.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #27
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't do this anymore, but...

I went through a lazy phase once. I keg-hopped a batch with an ounce of cascade (whole) in the serving keg (5g). When the keg was kicked, I racked the next batch on top of that, without cleaning it or removing the hops. To top it off, I did it one more time later (3 times total). FYI, the hops were in a hop bag-like bag, tied to the top portion of the dip tube with an extension to ensure that it hung low enough to be in the beer but not interfere with the dip tube.

Never noticed anything grassy or off, although I'm sure I ran the risk of many different things happening there.

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #28
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatspade View Post
Thnx Duboman! Now I feel like taking my G.I. Bill and using it to help my hobby. Did you find this stuff by a simple internet search?
Someone actually pointed me to those links awhile back regarding a dry hop study that was being conducted since there is very little information out there scientifically regarding the effects and utilization of hops in the dry hop process.

Most of what's out there is experience based with no real scientific information to back it up. I've been following these sites as I am interested in reading the study once it's formally published. The one study link I think is the most current but I have not had a chance to completely read through it.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomXsaloon View Post
Nothing scientific to add, since I have no background in that. It would be interesting to get a biochemist to provide some info.

I do know that you won't get the grassy flavor when dry hopping in keg, at serving temps. So the colder temps, along with my normal longer time in primary, could have combined to produce the great results. Although there are others that go less time in primary for low ABV brews, dry hop in keg, and have pretty much the same results.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
It is, and people keep repeating it without having any personal experience.
Well then, since you know more about my personal brewing experience than I do, I must be wrong. Please forgive me for merely echoing things I have only heard about and not actually experienced. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Quick Reply