New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry hopping with 4 oz of East Kent Goldings too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
SurlyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Dry hopping with 4 oz of East Kent Goldings too much?

Any thoughts on this? I tried the remnants of a hydrometer test and it tastes very different than I was expecting. It has some what of a chocolate after taste, really having a hard time putting my finger on it. Its in the bottle now so we will see how it tastes once its carbonated. Never used EKG before. Any experience with it. I used first gold for the bittering and EKG for everything else. Its an English IPA. My first all grain.

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Nope, should be great. If it doesn't taste right, 4oz EKG isn't your problem.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What size batch was it? EKG is very earthy, you may be tasting a resin of the hop, wow 4 oz....

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3863 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

I've never used that much in a dryhop, but it should fade a bit. EKG is sort of earthy, a bit floral, but not over the top. That's a lot of dryhops, though, so I"m not sure what to expect.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #5
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My original plan was to do 2 oz, then was persuaded by northern brewer employees to try 3-4 oz. I regret following through with it, but I like dry hopping so I figured I'd give it a try. I've dry hopped with 8.5 ounces in the surly furious and it tasted awesome. The earthiness of the EKG may be throwing my taste buds off a bit. Its a very weird taste, had a hard time putting my finger on it.

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
What size batch was it? EKG is very earthy, you may be tasting a resin of the hop, wow 4 oz....
It was a 4.5 gallon batch.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:53 AM   #7
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 430

I love EKG hops. I've used them in both English and Belgian styles. But I tend toward enjoying the earthy end of the hop spectrum. If you typically are more interested in the citrusy, fruity end of the hop spectrum (maybe that spectrum is more than just linear), then the EKG might not quite hit the spot for you.

Also, the whole hop-bursting, ultra-dry-hopped thing is much more related to American Pales and IPAs than English styles. If that's the direction you wanted to go, an American hop might've been a better fit.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyBrew View Post
My original plan was to do 2 oz, then was persuaded by northern brewer employees to try 3-4 oz.
Sounds like NB alright!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So the beer is carbed up and... It has a sweet, biscuit and caramel malt flavor, with an intense earthy aroma, mild citrus, and a slight hint of tobacco. A very interesting beer none the least. I think with time, this beer will come around nicely. I called it the Brummy IPA, after the year I spent living in Birmingham, England. The name is fitting.

Quick Reply