Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
patjofo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dry hopping

Just brewed my 3rd extract kit, a brewer's best APA kit. I thought everything went smoothly until I took my OG, measured 1.046 (instructions had a range of 1.051-1.055) I was thinking that dry hopping might help the situation and give this brew a bit more depth. Do I just let it sit in the primary for three weeks then transfer to the secondary and let it sit for 2 weeks? Any suggestions on what to dry hop with?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Dry hopping will not help your gravity problem. Usually extract batches are really close, maybe you topped off with too much water? Anyway, on to the dryhop question....

In really generic terms, let the beer ferment as long as it needs to - 3 weeks will be safe but you should always check with they hydrometer.

At that point, dump in a 1-2 ounces of a good aroma hop (Citra is one of the current hot hops). Let it sit for aother 1-2 weeks. Then bottle or keg! Lots of opinions on using a secondary. I personally do not.

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
patjofo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen
Dry hopping will not help your gravity problem. Usually extract batches are really close, maybe you topped off with too much water? Anyway, on to the dryhop question....

In really generic terms, let the beer ferment as long as it needs to - 3 weeks will be safe but you should always check with they hydrometer.

At that point, dump in a 1-2 ounces of a good aroma hop (Citra is one of the current hot hops). Let it sit for aother 1-2 weeks. Then bottle or keg! Lots of opinions on using a secondary. I personally do not.
Thanks. wasn't thinking it would help with the gravity problem. My water level was right on. I really can't pinpoint where I went wrong, I followed the directions. I figure dry hopping will give the brew a stronger hop flavor to make up for what may be a 4% ABV beer.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
thasnazzle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's hard to get accurate gravity readings with partial boils, often you will not get the wort mixed to a uniform density. That could be your problem.

Eviction Brewery Co.
Est. 2011
"Highly Unorganized and Unprofessional"

Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
patjofo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasnazzle
It's hard to get accurate gravity readings with partial boils, often you will not get the wort mixed to a uniform density. That could be your problem.
That's really interesting! I have been reviewing the brew day and can't find any mistakes. Maybe this was the problem.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasnazzle View Post
Thats probably it. I believe there is a whole thread about this somewhere on HBT. You really have to mix the sh*t out of your wort to insure a proper reading.
Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Agreed. When I first started I had a HE*L of a time getting the correct gravity reading and I would bet my life it was because things were not mixed well enough. So I made things easier and went all grain and threw away my extract jar!

Old 02-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
patjofo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'll be using a 5 gallon BB for secondary. Do I use sanitized marbles? I would imagine them being difficult to remove through the neck. What are the disadvantages I using a hop bag without marbles?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I dry hopped with my APA and thought it turned out great. I would personally dryhop with the hop I boiled with. The only way I would personally use more than 2 hops in a beer is if I was trying to get rid of hops.

Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
jdhasse
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Any chance the sample you used to measure the OG was too warm? If not the proper temperature the OG will be off.

As for dry hopping I am a big fan of citra, Amarillo and Nelson sauvin.

Been hearing good things about mosaic hops but never used them myself.

Quick Reply