Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
BugBeer12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping

Hello all,

We brewed our second batch of beer this afternoon, an IPA from a True Brew kit. We visited a local brewery and bought fresh yeast (a California Ale strain) as well as Citra hops to use for dry hopping. The bag is 1 oz, and we are unsure if we should use the whole bag or just a half oz. Online research and the Home Brew book we purchased are contradictory. Does it come down to personal preference, or is the 1 oz. bag a good amount for a 5 gallon batch?
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
dmashl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 20

advice...whatever amount you use, use a hop bag.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

A good starting point is 1oz in 5 gallons of finished beer (for dry hopping). Once the beer is finished fermenting, and otherwise ready, add the dry hops to it. I also advise the hop bag for this, since it will contain the hops and make transfers easier.

I use 1oz of whole hops in a 3 gallon corny keg when dry hopping. I get what I want from that amount/ratio. I also add the hops to the keg right before the keg goes into the brew fridge to chill and carbonate (2 week slow carbonation method). This produces wonderful hop aroma/flavor in my glass for the entire keg. No need to remove the hops (at all) until you're cleaning out the kicked keg. I'm not the only one that dry hops this way.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Anyone know of a better bag ? I would think something like a hop ball but long and round for carboy use ?

Quick Reply