Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrakis

Reaction score
So i just brewed my first batch, a belgian tripple/ american ipa (extract kit). I plan on keeping it in the secondary for 4 weeks. Also, I wanted to dry hop during this time. I read that dry hopping for more than 14 days will give an "off" or "grassy" flavor to the batch. How should i go about dry hopping, and for how long? Originally i was just going to put the leaf hops directly in the carboy during racking. Any advice would be appreciated.

I just toss them in 10 days to 2 weeks before I bottle. I have left them in for 4 months before now with no issues.

Pellet hops will slowly sink, and not be a problem. Leaf hops will clog your siphon tube, so you will need to either have them in a bag, or put something over your racking cane to filter it when bottling.

I used to dry hop a double IPA for two weeks with pellets and have it turn out great. Anymore time and I would get concerned about any off flavors.

Oh, ok. i was thinking that i shouldn't disturb the batch after racking (i'm paranoid about bacteria or oxygenating with this first batch). I'll just add the pellets 2 weeks out of bottling like you said. Thanks.

Back