The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hop with Tea Ball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
el_caro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Dry Hop with Tea Ball

I have seen these SS tea balls at the local asian grocery store for $3. They are only about 75mm (3") diameter. Is that large enough for dry hopping a small 3 gallon batch? What % of the original hop bill would you usually add if dry hopping?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Werbi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've used them successfully for keg hopping. You don't want to put much more than 1/2oz of pellet hops in each one or they'll swell up and you will not maximize the aroma you get from them. Make sure that they are secure... some are pretty flimsy and prone to popping open. Also, note that they are cheap SS and the HW will eventually begin to corrode some.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks for that. I will get a couple and give them a try. 0.5 oz in each.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
slogger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werbi View Post
I've used them successfully for keg hopping. You don't want to put much more than 1/2oz of pellet hops in each one or they'll swell up and you will not maximize the aroma you get from them. Make sure that they are secure... some are pretty flimsy and prone to popping open. Also, note that they are cheap SS and the HW will eventually begin to corrode some.
Does much of the hop pellet material escape? I bought one and it seems to me that a lot of hops could get out where the seem is.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogger View Post
Does much of the hop pellet material escape? I bought one and it seems to me that a lot of hops could get out where the seem is.
For that reason, I only use these tea balls for leaf hops. For pellets, I use a sanitized muslin bag.

Actually, I don't usually use ANY bags or teaballs unless I'm dryhopping in the keg. But I use both (bag for pellets, teaball for leaf hops) when I'm dryhopping in a keg!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i bought one online and was dissapointed that it didn't hold much at all. i couldn't fit an ounce of hops and what i did fit expanded in the ball so much that i don't think my utilization was very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Werbi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogger View Post
Not really; have only used them twice so far in keg hopping. The first had NO hop material in my beer. The second I had a lot for about the first gallon; that was due to one of the herb/hop/tea balls opening. After the first gallon or so the beer was clear.

I do not use the balls in the boil... I just throw the hops in. Usually, the first cup or so out of the kettle is captured for a hydro reading and after that runs pretty clear. At the very end I cut off the valve when I start seeing trub in the line. Anything that makes it into the fermentor settles out in primary (usually very little trub in the yeast cake).

I like the herb balls, my only recommendation is if using them for kegs is to buy the biggest one you can fit through the lid! They do not hold many hops. I chain mine together and use multiple if using much more than 1/2oz.

Cheers, Webri

Quick Reply