Dry hop splash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teruyaki

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to dry hop an IIPA with about 3.5 oz of pellets into a glass carboy tomorrow. I am worried about the pellets splashing and oxidizting the beer. Should i be worried about that? its a 6-8 inch drop to the beer.

Also, I'm planning on a cold crash a couple days before bottling. is that a bad idea for a IIPA? i heard it may affect the aroma when doing so.

Thanks for any recommendations/advice!

Just drop 'em , it will be fine.

The effects of dry hopping subside over time. That is to say the hoppy aroma will mellow out in time. It should have no immediate effect on flavor or aroma (albeit clearer), but may allow for the aroma to mellow sooner after it is in the bottle. Unless you plan on keeping bottles around for months and months don't worry about it.

Hey guys, I'm going to dry hop an IIPA with about 3.5 oz of pellets into a glass carboy tomorrow. I am worried about the pellets splashing and oxidizting the beer. Should i be worried about that? its a 6-8 inch drop to the beer.

Also, I'm planning on a cold crash a couple days before bottling. is that a bad idea for a IIPA? i heard it may affect the aroma when doing so.

Thanks for any recommendations/advice!

Cold crashing a IIPA is not a bad idea at all. I always do this to help drop out the hop particles along with any remaining yeast. An extra day or two for this process will not have any negative affect on the aroma...technically you are still dry hopping since the hops are still in there. As far as oxidation, I don't think dropping the hops in would be a big concern, but like mentioned before, if you are transferring to secondary just add the hops first and then rack on top of them.

I have just dropped the pellets in many many times and have never had an issue with oxidization.

Remember that the 6" of 'air' above the beer is CO2. Any O2 that your hop pellets drag down with them will be negligible.

My hunch is that the fear of oxidation by gently stirring the beer or disturbing the surface by things like this is unfounded. How much oxygen could really get dissolved into a 5 gallon batch of beer from a little momentary surface splashing?

In any event Bleme had a good point that it's going to be mostly CO2 above the surface anyways.

Back