Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > dry hop in primary or secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Thehopguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default dry hop in primary or secondary

My first batch of beer is currently fermenting in my ferm chamber but im wondering about my dry hopping.

I had bought a kit with a secondary because I had planned on dryhopping my beers in it but it seems to be common around here for ppl saying skip it..

My beer is a pale ale..OG is 1.052 so I know it doesn't need to age because the OG isn't high.

So what do u guys think? Rack to secondary in about a week and dry hop or leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and dry hop the last week?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Conditioning (aging) your beer is the best thing that I have learned about brewing great beer. I go one month in fermenters, and try to go one month on CO2 before drinking.

It is so much better than drinking green beer.

Always dry hop, add fruit, or roasted nuts in the secondary. If you add anything with vigorous fermentation all the flavors will go out the air lock. Go about three or so days in primary, all action will mellow out, THEN rack to secondary and add whatever. The longer it is in there the better, so as soon as fermentation settles down, add.

Some brewers don't use secondaries, just let the vigorous fermentation subside, then add fruit, nuts, dry hops to the Primary if you don't use a secondary.

If you have cheese cloth, make a hop bag and drop it in. That way you don't have hops floating everywhere, when it is time to rack to bottles.

Oh, I am impressed, I have been brewing 8 years, I don't have a fermentation chamber. I'm jealous.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 06-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Either one. I prefer a five gallon secondary for no particular reason. The bandwagon right now is to skip it.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
bechard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on Stuntman's recommendation to bag the pellet hops. Also consider wrapping your siphon in a cheesecloth or bag when racking to bottling to prevent floaties...Or just use leaf hops for dry hopping.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1912 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1415

I use hop socks after FG is reached,& the beer has had a week to clean up,& settle out to a slight haze. Hop oils cling to the settling yeast cells,not just go out the airlock with the co2. I'm using a secondary for the 1st time. But only because I wanted to age it on bourbon soaked oak chips for a week or so.
At three to five days,only initial fermentation is done,it still takes some time to get down to FG. Yeast is still active,even though they're not going spastic.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
kaz4121
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Everyone is pretty spot on with comments. Remember that a lot of topics (such as primary vs secondary debate) ultimately depend on the brewers preference, as there is truly no right or wrong way to do it.

When I dry hop, I put my pellet hops in my sanitized better bottle and rack my primary on top of the hop bed. When bottling time rolls around, I use my hop bag/cheese cloth and place it around my siphon. I find that this is easier then adding the hops to the bag and trying to fit it in the fermentor. It also reduces the change for any infection from nasties being in the cloth.

In the end, do whatever works best for you.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I couldn't say which is better since I haven't done a side by side but I do dry hop in the secondary so I have less crap to stir up when I lift it out of my fermentation chest.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

So far, I've only dry hopped in primary. Mostly because I don't secondary unless there's a burning need to. IMO, dry hopping isn't one of them. I got solid results with dry hopping in primary the first time, so I plan on doing it again with a coming batch. I plan on letting the brew sit on the yeast for a solid 3-4 weeks before adding the whole hops to it (1.5oz of EKG). I'll let it sit there for about a week, then bottle/keg it up.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

The debate goes on secondary vs no secondary. I use a secondary and think it gives me a better final product. I will continue to do so until I have a frig that I can cold crash in. So now off the soap box. If you use a primary only, do not add the dry hops until the active fermentation is well past or you will loose much of your aroma to the C02 comming out of the air lock.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehopguy View Post
Rack to secondary in about a week and dry hop or leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and dry hop the last week?
The later works great and is much easier. If you are going to move it to secondary, at least check your hydro reading to be sure it has stabilized rather than going by an arbitrary time of 1 week.

Quick Reply