Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry hop

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #1
Willbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Monroe, Georgia
Posts: 84
Default Dry hop

I just racked from primary to secondary and i am dry hopping my IPA with 1 oz columbus and i was wondering if i should do this in my cooler at the same temperature as my fermentation ( which was 68 degrees) or at room temp

__________________
Willbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Haputanlas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,970
Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

I would leave it at 68 degrees if it were me. Your warmer temp would impart the dry hop characteristics a little quicker, but I like to keep my fermentation temps pretty constant.

If you can raise it to room temp and keep it within 2-3 degrees at all times, then I'd suggest upping the temp.

__________________

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Haputanlas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Dogphish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Beach, VA
Posts: 654
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

i would do warmer temp. 75 degrees would be fine. why go through the hassle of temperature control if it's not necessary?

if you did things correctly (made sure specific gravity is constant) before dry hopping, then the yeast is not active. the only reason you're supposed to hold at 68 degrees is because the yeast will produce bad flavors when you stress it with heat.

__________________

Tap: Centennial IPA (SMASH)
Tap: Dogfish Head Ginger Saison
Bottle: Stone 11th Anniversary Black IPA clone
Secondary: Flemish Brown Sour Ale

Dogphish is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Willbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Monroe, Georgia
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogphish
i would do warmer temp. 75 degrees would be fine. why go through the hassle of temperature control if it's not necessary?

if you did things correctly (made sure specific gravity is constant) before dry hopping, then the yeast is not active. the only reason you're supposed to hold at 68 degrees is because the yeast will produce bad flavors when you stress it with heat.
Would dryhopping at 75 degrees add a different flavor profile than 68?
__________________
Willbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,580
Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willbrew View Post
Would dryhopping at 75 degrees add a different flavor profile than 68?
I don't know. I've read on this forum that temperature control doesn't matter much when the fermentation is finished, but I never had the guts to try it. It really seems to me that if you want the best beer, that you'd keep the beer at the optimum fermentation temperature.

I would keep the beer no higher than 70 degrees if possible, even for dryhopping, but that's more of a gut feeling than any scientific basis.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Willbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Monroe, Georgia
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

I don't know. I've read on this forum that temperature control doesn't matter much when the fermentation is finished, but I never had the guts to try it. It really seems to me that if you want the best beer, that you'd keep the beer at the optimum fermentation temperature.

I would keep the beer no higher than 70 degrees if possible, even for dryhopping, but that's more of a gut feeling than any scientific basis.
That sounds pretty reasonable. I think i will keep dryhopping at my original ferment temperature. Thanks!
__________________
Willbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Celticway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville, GA, GA
Posts: 340
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I also dry hop at ferm temp.

__________________
Celticway is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools