New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry beer explanation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
darrenbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dry beer explanation

I see a lot of comments about dry beer, but I have no idea what dry beer actually means. What causes dry beer and what does it taste like? How do you know if your beer is dry and is it necessarily a bad thing? Are certain styles more susceptible to this?

I'm such a newbie!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
GrogNerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 727 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 94

dry as opposed to sweet. dry just means less sweet.

you can mash at a low temp for longer to create more fermentable sugar to create a dry beer. higher temps for a shorter period creates unfermentable sugars which will make your beer sweet.

dry is not a bad thing, depending on the style

I'm shiny new too

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: DB8PT Session Ale, Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine

darrenbrews Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
yaaybeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd
dry as opposed to sweet. dry just means less sweet.

you can mash at a low temp for longer to create more fermentable sugar to create a dry beer. higher temps for a shorter period creates unfermentable sugars which will make your beer sweet.

dry is not a bad thing, depending on the style

I'm shiny new too
Nice explanation thanks. It's a minefield of jargon out there. That's the toughest part of the whole brewing

Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
HopZombie99
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I think that dry would be the opposite of malty. Definitely a legitimate taste to go for depending on the style of beer.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
GrogNerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 727 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopZombie99 View Post
I think that dry would be the opposite of malty. Definitely a legitimate taste to go for depending on the style of beer.
sweet can be malty, like mashing at a higher temperature, but sweet can also be sweet like adding a caramel/crystal to the mash or low attenuation

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: DB8PT Session Ale, Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopZombie99 View Post
Not necessarily. You can have styles like a dry Irish stout that have very strong roasted malt flavors, but aren't sweet at all.

I agree with GrogNerd's description. Dryness is a lack of sweetness and unfermentable sugars, and usually (at least in my opinion) has a lighter mouthfeel due to the lack of those unfermentables. Of course, there are other factors like carbonation level, hop oils, etc. that affect mouthfeel, so that isn't always the case.

Quick Reply