Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dropping from d-rest temp to lagering temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
crbrown25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dropping from d-rest temp to lagering temp

I'm currently fermenting my first lager at 52 deg for a few weeks (using wyeast 2278 czech pils). Great sulfur smell, by the way. Then I'll do a d-rest for a few days at room temp. I've read/heard that the temp should be dropped from d-rest to lager temp gradually. I guess my question is...what are the benefits of dropping the temp gradually, rather than just setting the fridge at lagering temp and letting it go?

Fermenting:
On Tap: Nothing
Bottled: East Riding of Yorkshire Northern English Brown Ale, Brown House Honey Porter, EdWort's Apfelwein, 1876 IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

dropping the temperature too fast can cause the yeast to go dormant which will inhibit the reduction of diacetyl

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
crbrown25
Recipes 

aah, i see. My primary for this batch is a plastic bucket. i figured i'd be racking into the lagering vessel (glass carboy) after d-rest & before dropping the temp. So the risk of the yeast going dormant is still an issue even after the wort is off the cake? I did not realize that. I guess i thought once the primary fermentation was done, and i racked to secondary (which would be after about 3 weeks), that the yeast was pretty much done doing its job anyway. Not the case?

Fermenting:
Bottled: East Riding of Yorkshire Northern English Brown Ale, Brown House Honey Porter, EdWort's Apfelwein, 1876 IPA

Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbrown25 View Post
aah, i see. My primary for this batch is a plastic bucket. i figured i'd be racking into the lagering vessel (glass carboy) after d-rest & before dropping the temp. So the risk of the yeast going dormant is still an issue even after the wort is off the cake? I did not realize that. I guess i thought once the primary fermentation was done, and i racked to secondary (which would be after about 3 weeks), that the yeast was pretty much done doing its job anyway. Not the case?
No, of course it's finished! After the diacetyl rest, rack and go ahead and drop the temp. It's fine.

Dropping the temp slowly to lagering temps is a tradition and tradition says that more polyphenols should drop out of suspension that way, plus that the yeast are still working. Current thinking is that the fermentation is done, and since the purpose of lagering is to reduce polyphenols and encourage clarity, that dropping the temperature fast is fine. Either way works just fine, in my experience.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Gunrunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, of course it's finished! After the diacetyl rest, rack and go ahead and drop the temp. It's fine.

Dropping the temp slowly to lagering temps is a tradition and tradition says that more polyphenols should drop out of suspension that way, plus that the yeast are still working. Current thinking is that the fermentation is done, and since the purpose of lagering is to reduce polyphenols and encourage clarity, that dropping the temperature fast is fine. Either way works just fine, in my experience.
+1
I may be wrong but droping the temp slow will help prevent suck-back. I lager in a keg and have not had any problem. I move from d-rest at room temp back to the garage and let it cool and settle for two days and then move to keg and lager.

The Gunrunner
If you are going to be stupid then you better be tough.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
crbrown25
Recipes 

Good info...thanks guys and gal. While i'm at it...what do you all recommend for time & temp of the lagering phase?

Fermenting:

Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbrown25
Good info...thanks guys and gal. While i'm at it...what do you all recommend for time & temp of the lagering phase?
For an average lager say an OG of 1.050 I lager 5-6 weeks at 31°F.

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
crbrown25
Recipes 

Cool thanks. Is there a benefit to lagering below freezing? I never considered going that low.

Fermenting:

Quick Reply