Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dropping from d-rest temp to lagering temp
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
crbrown25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 81
Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dropping from d-rest temp to lagering temp

I'm currently fermenting my first lager at 52 deg for a few weeks (using wyeast 2278 czech pils). Great sulfur smell, by the way. Then I'll do a d-rest for a few days at room temp. I've read/heard that the temp should be dropped from d-rest to lager temp gradually. I guess my question is...what are the benefits of dropping the temp gradually, rather than just setting the fridge at lagering temp and letting it go?

__________________
Holly Court Brewing Co.

Fermenting:
On Tap: Nothing
Bottled: East Riding of Yorkshire Northern English Brown Ale, Brown House Honey Porter, EdWort's Apfelwein, 1876 IPA
crbrown25 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
A4J's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: the Desert, CA
Posts: 1,348
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

dropping the temperature too fast can cause the yeast to go dormant which will inhibit the reduction of diacetyl

__________________
Primary 1: pale ale
Primary 2: blondie


My mid-century modern keezer build thread.
A4J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
crbrown25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 81
Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

aah, i see. My primary for this batch is a plastic bucket. i figured i'd be racking into the lagering vessel (glass carboy) after d-rest & before dropping the temp. So the risk of the yeast going dormant is still an issue even after the wort is off the cake? I did not realize that. I guess i thought once the primary fermentation was done, and i racked to secondary (which would be after about 3 weeks), that the yeast was pretty much done doing its job anyway. Not the case?

__________________
Holly Court Brewing Co.

Fermenting:
On Tap: Nothing
Bottled: East Riding of Yorkshire Northern English Brown Ale, Brown House Honey Porter, EdWort's Apfelwein, 1876 IPA
crbrown25 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,206
Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbrown25 View Post
aah, i see. My primary for this batch is a plastic bucket. i figured i'd be racking into the lagering vessel (glass carboy) after d-rest & before dropping the temp. So the risk of the yeast going dormant is still an issue even after the wort is off the cake? I did not realize that. I guess i thought once the primary fermentation was done, and i racked to secondary (which would be after about 3 weeks), that the yeast was pretty much done doing its job anyway. Not the case?
No, of course it's finished! After the diacetyl rest, rack and go ahead and drop the temp. It's fine.

Dropping the temp slowly to lagering temps is a tradition and tradition says that more polyphenols should drop out of suspension that way, plus that the yeast are still working. Current thinking is that the fermentation is done, and since the purpose of lagering is to reduce polyphenols and encourage clarity, that dropping the temperature fast is fine. Either way works just fine, in my experience.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Gunrunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Windsor, ca
Posts: 187
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, of course it's finished! After the diacetyl rest, rack and go ahead and drop the temp. It's fine.

Dropping the temp slowly to lagering temps is a tradition and tradition says that more polyphenols should drop out of suspension that way, plus that the yeast are still working. Current thinking is that the fermentation is done, and since the purpose of lagering is to reduce polyphenols and encourage clarity, that dropping the temperature fast is fine. Either way works just fine, in my experience.
+1
I may be wrong but droping the temp slow will help prevent suck-back. I lager in a keg and have not had any problem. I move from d-rest at room temp back to the garage and let it cool and settle for two days and then move to keg and lager.
__________________

The Gunrunner
If you are going to be stupid then you better be tough.

Gunrunner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
crbrown25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 81
Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Good info...thanks guys and gal. While i'm at it...what do you all recommend for time & temp of the lagering phase?

__________________
Holly Court Brewing Co.

Fermenting:
On Tap: Nothing
Bottled: East Riding of Yorkshire Northern English Brown Ale, Brown House Honey Porter, EdWort's Apfelwein, 1876 IPA
crbrown25 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Begin2Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 736
Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbrown25
Good info...thanks guys and gal. While i'm at it...what do you all recommend for time & temp of the lagering phase?
For an average lager say an OG of 1.050 I lager 5-6 weeks at 31°F.
__________________

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

Begin2Brew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
crbrown25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 81
Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Cool thanks. Is there a benefit to lagering below freezing? I never considered going that low.

__________________
Holly Court Brewing Co.

Fermenting:
On Tap: Nothing
Bottled: East Riding of Yorkshire Northern English Brown Ale, Brown House Honey Porter, EdWort's Apfelwein, 1876 IPA
crbrown25 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conditioning temp is dropping BeerWard Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 12-11-2010 12:53 PM
carbonation calculator: fermentation temp, cold crash temp, bottling temp? jigidyjim Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 11-27-2010 01:04 AM
Lagering in ale temp. dorno_b Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 09-14-2010 12:44 PM
Lagering Temp Hurls Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 09-28-2009 04:36 PM
Dropping Temp daveooph131 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 06-23-2009 08:59 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS