Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dropped my secondary (full of beer), luckily a better bottle, but my question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
TheH2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dropped my secondary (full of beer), luckily a better bottle, but my question

is, is my beer bound to taste like cardboard (oxidized)? Is there anything I could do to prevent oxidation? The beer had about an inch to an inch and a half of foam on top. Could I pitch a champagne yeast to consume the oxygen? Should I keg this a little faster? It had four weeks in primary and just tranferred to secondary. I was going to leave it in secondary one to two months.

In case it matters, I brewed a Saison and had great attenuation 1.075 to 1.007.

I only lost about 2 bottles worth of beer. And thank God it wasn't a carboy and was able to continue my brew day after cleaning up the floors the ceiling, etc.

Thanks, and now it is time to relax, don't worry (I'm not in the hospital with tons of cuts on my body) and drink heavily at Oktoberfest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Your beer should be fine but I recommend you pick up a brew hauler or a milk crate to make carrying the carboy much safer and easier.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
jay4e
Recipes 

It should be fine. The foam is just co2 being forced out from the shock and the mouth of a better bottle isn't big enough to let much air in while co2 and beer are pushing out.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks, feel much better now.

Makes sense that not much oxygen could get in. I wasn't thinking too clearly after that incident.

Quick Reply