The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > drinking temp preferences for beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
woody34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Default drinking temp preferences for beer

Before I started homebrewing (a few months ago), I preferred to drink my beer very cold. On the verge of freezing even. With my first few home brews, I would refridgerate them and then poor into a frosty mug. However, I'm learning that you get a lot more flavor (especially my sweet stout) with a chilled beer, but not super cold.

I was just curious as to what eveyone else prefers. At times, pouring into a frosted mug caused excessive head and even frozen head...not good.

Does anyone drink room temp beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Jade_The_Raw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I enjoy drinking stouts and some IPAs a little colder if not room temp. But I think that's me.

I like lagers and malts really cold.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts

Room temp, no. Cellar temp, yes. A lot of Belgians and pretty much anything British should be served around 55F. Pilsners and the like should be around 40.

Of couse, it'll warm up as you're drinking, so I like to start a little colder than the "proper" temperature for the ales. My kegerator stays around 42 so I just drink lagers quickly and savor the ales.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
kanta
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A good rule of thumb that has worked for me (ymmv) is the darker the beer the warmer you drink it. If I have a beer that's too cold, its ok though...it'll warm up shortly

Old 08-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Found this on some months ago on google, apologies for forgetting who to give credit - perhaps someone will recognize it and give credit where it's due:

Quote:
Beer is best served in between “ice cold” and room temperature. There are a lot of generalization made about beers of different colours, most of which are false. However, when it comes to temperature, colour seems to make a big difference. Lighter-coloured beers are generally best served cold. At the warmest end are the big, dark beers like Quadrupels, Imperial Stouts and Barley Wines. At cellar temperature are English-style beers and in the middle is just about everything else.

Very cold (0-4C/32-39F): Any beer you don’t actually want to taste. Pale Lager, Malt Liquor, Canadian-style Golden Ale and Cream Ale, Low Alcohol, Canadian, American or Scandinavian-style Cider.

Cold (4-7C/39-45F): Hefeweizen, Kristalweizen, Kölsch, Premium Lager, Pilsner, Classic German Pilsner, Fruit Beer, brewpub-style Golden Ale, European Strong Lager, Berliner Weisse, Belgian White, American Dark Lager, sweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Duvel-types

Cool (8-12C/45-54F): American Pale Ale, Amber Ale, California Common, Dunkelweizen, Sweet Stout, Stout, Dry Stout, Porter, English-style Golden Ale, unsweetened Fruit Lambics and Gueuzes, Faro, Belgian Ale, Bohemian Pilsner, Dunkel, Dortmunder/Helles, Vienna, Schwarzbier, Smoked, Altbier, Tripel, Irish Ale, French or Spanish-style Cider

Cellar (12-14C/54-57F): Bitter, Premium Bitter, Brown Ale, India Pale Ale, English Pale Ale, English Strong Ale, Old Ale, Saison, Unblended Lambic, Flemish Sour Ale, Bière de Garde, Baltic Porter, Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Strong Ale, Weizen Bock, Bock, Foreign Stout, Zwickel/Keller/Landbier, Scottish Ale, Scotch Ale, American Strong Ale, Mild, English-style Cider

Warm (14-16C/57-61F): Barley Wine, Abt/Quadrupel, Imperial Stout, Imperial/Double IPA, Doppelbock, Eisbock, Mead

Hot (70C/158F): Quelque Chose, Liefmans Glühkriek, dark, spiced winter ales like Daleside Morocco Ale.
I like mine between Cold and Cool.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

I like lagers & pilsners thoroughly cold. EB,ESB,& other malty types served at about 50F. The get better when they warm up to about 55F. Warmer or hot,no.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

I prefer my beer just after it warms a bit from the fridge, BTW, you should not pour your beer into a frosty mug unless it's a BMC beer- the frosted glass zaps the carbonation and head retention and kills the hop aroma pretty quick. One of my huge pet peeves when I order a good craft beer and they bring me a frosty mug, no thanks!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
woody34
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman
I prefer my beer just after it warms a bit from the fridge, BTW, you should not pour your beer into a frosty mug unless it's a BMC beer- the frosted glass zaps the carbonation and head retention and kills the hop aroma pretty quick. One of my huge pet peeves when I order a good craft beer and they bring me a frosty mug, no thanks!
Agree totally. But only realized that recently. A frosted mug of beer looks awesome but conceals a lot of flavor and aroma.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
FutureJack
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I like all my beers to start out very cold. My beer fridge is set around 40-42. All beer warms up eventually. I enjoy the way the flavor changes as it warms.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Tenspeed
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I generally pull beer out of the fridge a little before I want to drink it, usually two bottles. Generally I'll open one and drink it over the course of making dinner, or anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes after pulling it out of the fridge if I'm doing something else. The other I drink during dinner if I went through the first one fast enough. Sometimes I forget to finish the first, sometimes I'll get a couple more beers. Any forgotten beer gets turned into something else if I find it the next day, generally sauce for dinner that night or bread. Nothing gets wasted.

Lagers and cider are an exception. Those get pulled individually and opened immediately.

Ten

#1: Empty
#2: EdWort's Apfelwein
Mr. Beer: Empty
Bottled: Cherry Apple Cider, Red Ale

Quick Reply