Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Drinking my first home brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
schneemann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Drinking my first home brew

First home brew ever: Oktoberfest.

I bottled this beer on June 22, 2008 after 1 week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. I somewhat misguidedly stuck it in the fridge for 2 weeks right after bottling. Then I took it out and put it in my cool (60 degrees), dark basement until taking one out today.

A few weeks ago, curiosity got the best of me and I popped one open. It tasted hideous. It tasted a lot like cider, had no carbonation, and was really green.

Today I popped one open. It tasted much better. It was much more like the beer it is supposed to be. Had OK lacing on the bottle. It was still a little green, but I could tell it is developing well. Can't wait to see how it turns out in a few more weeks!

Opened one out of my second batch - a New Castle clone. Still way too early. Great carbonation but really seems flavorless. I'm guessing it needs to develop more in the bottle.

Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
BrosBrew
Recipes 

It also sounds like your a little cool in the basement. They ideally should be stored at 70 or a shade above. It's true though, it's amazing what bottle conditioning will do.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
schneemann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, I'm worried about this winter, though I guess I could switch to lagers! ;-)

I might get one of those carboy heaters for when I do ales, esp. this winter. The basement stays a pretty consistent 60-65. The consistency is nice, but you're right. Its a little too cool. I will cool down even more this winter.

Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Shaggy
Recipes 

My first beer (an IPA) was brewed in early March and bottled after one month.
Since temps were cool then in the house yet, bottle conditioning was not optimal at 65F so I just let it sit and tended to forget mostly about them as I worked into other brews (and kegging).
Opened up a few this past weekend and now its like sucking from heavens teet compared to the undercarbed and green tasting bottles we drank a couple months back.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneemann View Post
I bottled this beer on June 22, 2008 after 1 week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. I somewhat misguidedly stuck it in the fridge for 2 weeks right after bottling. Then I took it out and put it in my cool (60 degrees), dark basement until taking one out today.

A few weeks ago, curiosity got the best of me and I popped one open. It tasted hideous. It tasted a lot like cider, had no carbonation, and was really green.
Now that you have learned a valuable lesson, repeat after me: 21 days at 70°F... 21 days at 70°F... 21 days at 70°F...

Seriously though, you stunted your yeast right when it was needed to ferment the priming sugars.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
now its like sucking from heavens teet
Nice! Time really does heal (almost) all brews.
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"FishinDave pities the fool that has no patience!"

Lol...It is TOUGH to wait. Just brew more beer, more often.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Quick Reply