New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Drinking my first home brew!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
BrooZer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Drinking my first home brew!!

And, in all honesty, its not what I expected. I hate to be a debbie downer.

It tastes sorta like natural light (sour tasting or bitter, not hops bitter) but only its Brown.

I used the Brewers Best English Brown Ale kit. I also did various things wrong while making it. Like, steeping grains to hot. Boiled finishing hops for about 30 min. Boiled with the lid on. And other various blunders.

I made it again (since I know I screwed it up) and its in the secondary now. I hoping it turns out a little better.

HAS ANYONE EVER MADE THIS KIT? WHAT IS IT SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE??

Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit of Hoppyness

Last edited by BrooZer; 02-10-2007 at 02:02 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

My first 2 brews were BB kits. Honestly I wasn't impressed by either. I think the ingredients were old.

I don't recommend pre packages kits because there is no way to tell how old the stuff is. Get your kits either from an online store like MoreBeer or Northern Brewer, or have your LHBS put one together for you.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:05 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3865 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 647

I've made that BB kit two times in the past. It actually tastes remarkably similar to Newcastle. It's better after three weeks in the bottle. I had no sour or bitter notes in the beer. I'm guessing the "bitter (astringent?)" came from boiling the finishing hops too long and the grains at too high a temperature. Sour sounds like an infection.

If yours is drinkable, that's great. It'll get better from here, I promise.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:08 AM   #4
BrooZer
Recipes 

Thanks for the encouragement so far.

See its hard to tell cause I wasnt sure what to expect.

It was in Plastic primary for 1 week, glass carboy for 2 weeks, and in bottles for 3.

I have to be honest, I am anal (some call it a perfectionist, but hey) so I try and make everything perfect. Soooo, I brewed another batch of the same for my second beer. It actually tasted better after 1 week in the primary (sans the carbonation) than the first batch does now.

So it seems like my stubborness may pay dividends in this hobby after all. I guess ill just let batch 1 marinate a while longer and continue to support my local beverage store.

I cant wait till I get better at this, I want to make some kick-a$$ brew.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
BrooZer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
I've made that BB kit two times in the past. It actually tastes remarkably similar to Newcastle. It's better after three weeks in the bottle. I had no sour or bitter notes in the beer. I'm guessing the "bitter (astringent?)" came from boiling the finishing hops too long and the grains at too high a temperature. Sour sounds like an infection.

If yours is drinkable, that's great. It'll get better from here, I promise.

Yea I was thinking astringent, ive never sucked a tea bag before (and will not). So im not sure if it is like that.

Thats the good thing about any hobby or sport. You always gets better when you keep plugging.

Too bad I posess the patience of a 6 year old in a toy store!

Quick Reply