Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Drinking first batch, not bitter/hoppy enough for me...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
damdaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
Also, this is an *amber.* Those hop amounts, depending on hop variety, are in the wheelhouse for the style if you're doing a partial boil. I would guess that your hop utilization is fine; it just wasn't a very good recipe for you considering your tastes.
Yes, that could be, although I've had ambers that were hoppier than this turned out, I do agree that hoppier styles are more to my liking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
damdaman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSteel View Post
Better yet, buy an oz of a good leaf hop that you like and pop one in your beer before you go to drink it and let it sit for a little while. Then you can have the left-overs to use for whatever you like (or if you end up not liking it). lol
I will give this a try. I have a lot of hops in the fridge left over from previous batches and for future batches. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

check out some product info on hop extract

I think your to boil it with the wort just like regular hops. I've heard that this stuff is used in some comercial beers like Hop Stupid from Lagunitas.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
damdaman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele View Post
But does it contain iso-alpha acids or alpha acids that haven't been isomerized? The latter aren't very water soluble so they wouldn't bitter your beer, just add flavor and aroma. Or so I've been told.

EDIT: Perhaps I'm just being too technical. What he really wants is some flavor to distract him from the maltiness, not necessarily true bitterness.
so would you say that it might work to pick up some hop extract from the LHBS and add it to the glass before I pour the beer in? Worth a shot at least? What about cooking some hop tea and adding a little bit to the glass before pouring the beer in? (although this sounds a little more labor intensive to do before every beer)

Old 01-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
damdaman
Recipes 

FYI, I tried adding hop tea to the beer last night. This was not very tasty, don't recommend it.

I was successful mixing it with a west coast style 95 IBU IPA, worked quite well.

I have not tried letting a hop flower sit in it for a little while before drinking yet.

...just in case anyone else finds themself in the same boat.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
Minky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by damdaman View Post
I have not tried letting a hop flower sit in it for a little while before drinking yet.

...just in case anyone else finds themself in the same boat.
This will not add any bitterness. The most I would expect from this is hop fragments in your beer.

Quick Reply