Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Drinking day!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
londonboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Drinking day!

So drinking day has arrived. Bottles have been sittin for about 2 weeks. The question i have is, if the beer is good and you want to share with friends, whats the polite minimum to give? Just one? 2?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2265 Times on 1973 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

I'd say a couple at most. But 2 weeks isn't usually enough conditioning time for average gravity beers. Save for a wheat beer. And a week fridge time for decent head & carbonation. It isn't a quick process.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
a6ladd
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Skal! It helps to keep 'em in the fridge for a bit to let the CO2 mix into solution, so crack open a few tonight and keep a six pack or two in the fridge for about 1-2 weeks and give those a try. I usually stick to 2 bottles, but that's why I started kegging, if they want 'em they have to come and get 'em!

Bottles: SMaSH Maris/Citra, Munich Dunkel, Independence Day Imperial Stout, Cascadian Dark Ale, Surly Bender Clone
Kegs: Empty
Primary: LFA Lime
Secondary: Bells Two Heated clone

The Canning Room Brewery

Old 07-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
yancydc
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always give 2 bottles to friends, so they can in turn share if desired. I used to give 1 bottle, and to more people, but I decided to be more selective and more generous with the lucky few.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I usually give 2 bottles to people I KNOW will enjoy homebrew, 1 to a new to homebrew taster, and a 6pack to someone that helps out on brew day. I've been bottling off the keg, for tasters.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
inturnldemize
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

One thing I realized is that most people don't know what good beer is. They think that a Bud or a Miller Light is good drinking. They are used to that sweet, tart, bland tasting commercial stuff so when you actually give them a good beer with flavor and nicely balanced hops they will think it's crap. Just speaking from experience here. I made a couple of kick ass batches, and I know they were awesome beers, but none of my friends really raved about it or had seconds. Just preparing you for the inevitable.

If your friends are beer connaiseurs then you're in luck, if they're not, prepare to have a disappointed reaction.

"Beer fermentation is the most ugly, yet beautiful thing a home brewer can experience." -Me

Please, people, for the love of beer, do not drink your brew out of the bottle. Beer is a beautiful thing and the least it deserves is a clean glass.

Follow A&M Beer Reviews on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Bee...43042525716025

Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 173

How many depends on the recipient. I usually share one each of a couple of brews with better friends. Or friends who I think would appreciate a good beer.

I don't even offer to casual acquaintances. MORE FOR ME!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've only got a couple friends I share with, although if someone's hosting a fun event at their house, i'll bring some homebrew over. To be honest, although people know I brew, I keep it on the DL when and what specifically i'm brewing. I spend hours upon hours brewing (and formulating, cleaning, sanitizing, researching, etc etc) so i'm not going to give away half of my beer.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
knuckleheadbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I usually give away 2-22 bombers to craft beer drinkers...and a 1/2 pint to Bud Light drinkers to get their feet wet...

Fermenter 1: Anarchy Red IPA
Fermenter 2:
Fermenter 3:
Fermenter 4:
Kegged/Bottled:
Coming Soon:Strawbeery Blond, Westmalle Triple Clone
www.facebook.com/knuckleheadbrewing
www.knuckleheadbrewing.com

Old 07-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
I usually give 2 bottles to people I KNOW will enjoy homebrew, 1 to a new to homebrew taster, and a 6pack to someone that helps out on brew day. I've been bottling off the keg, for tasters.

This is what I do. I have no brew help but the wife sometimes, and my beagle.. He gets a cold 12oz for his help when it's ready as well.

I give 1 bottle to people who hear/know that I'm a homebrewer, and might be interested in trying it. I give a couple of bombers, or so to a fellow craft beer drinker who I work with, and who can give me some feedback on flavors and stuff.

The rest.. I keep and drink.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS