*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > drinking beer straight from the fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
Unfabled
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default drinking beer straight from the fermenter

So my first batch has been in the primary fermenter for about two weeks now.

Fermentation is complete. However, I ran into some money trouble... don't have any extra bottles around nor do I have the ability to buy a keg.

What are my options for serving the beer straight from the fermenter? My fridge is big enough to fit it...

Just getting started. Follow us on Twitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
LakeErieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do you have any 2 liter pop bottles? You could use some of those to bottle your batch.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfabled View Post
So my first batch has been in the primary fermenter for about two weeks now.

Fermentation is complete. However, I ran into some money trouble... don't have any extra bottles around nor do I have the ability to buy a keg.

What are my options for serving the beer straight from the fermenter? My fridge is big enough to fit it...
Won't work all that well. The fermenter is not designed to hold pressure, so their is no way to carbonate it. PET soda bottles are your best bet.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
iXanadu
Recipes 

I've enjoyed some of my beers at bottling time enough that I put a pint or two in the Fridge to drink flat. Not sure how well I'd enjoy an entire batch that way. If you do decide to try it, make sure you age your beer (primary and-or secondary) to take off some of the green edge.

==================================
Brewing Calendar: http://ical.me.com/ixanadu/Brewing%20Cal
Primaries:
1-2: Biermunchers Blue Balls 10 gal batch
3: Dunkel from "Brewing Classic Styles"
4: Hefeweizen BYOB Paulner clone
5: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde

Secondaries:
1-4: empty

Cold Crashing: Biermunchers Tits up IPA

On Tap: American Wheat, Dunkel (wlp380), Chocolate Stout, Biermuncher OctoberFast.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How long will it be before you can 'afford' some bottles or a keg? You can leave your beer (for months) in the primary with no ill effects. I would say start saving your regular empties as long as they are NOT twist off bottles. Lots of brewers do this and it saves $$$.
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
How long will it be before you can 'afford' some bottles or a keg? You can leave your beer (for months) in the primary with no ill effects. I would say start saving your regular empties as long as they are NOT twist off bottles. Lots of brewers do this and it saves $$$.
-Me
And dumpster dive, ask friends, hit up the beer stores in town and offer to pay just the deposite on any of their empties, hit recycling bins and centers on saturdays, look on craigslist, and freecycle.com...put adds on both craigslist and freecycle, ask at your homebrew shop, see if theirs a club in your area, put something up at bulletin boards at your grocery store...there's any number of ways to acquire empties, quickly.... Ask at your local bars...and if there's any wedding reception halls either ask for or dumpster dive their champagne bottles since they hold pressure and can accept a crown cap....

Before I started, when my nephew brewed I gave him all my empties and he gave me a sixer back for every case worth I gave him...when I started brewing people gave me bottles...you might consider making the same offers to friends, families, neighbors....

In my apartment building several of my neighbors offer me their bottles.

In other words, no matter how broke you are, with some creativity you can get plenty of bottles.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
plumbusa
Recipes 

Hello there! My wife found me 10 cases of beer bottles on craigslist for free!! Had to take the labels off, but what a score!! Like Revvy said, with some imagination they can be had for free/cheap!

Last edited by plumbusa; 05-20-2009 at 02:01 AM. Reason: posted with no text

Old 05-20-2009, 02:47 AM   #8
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you shouldn't have spent all that money on the website before bottling your first batch...

absolutely jones all the bottles you can off people. what kind of capper do you have? if it's a bench capper, you can likely use twist-offs if that's all you can find. i guarantee, before you know it, you'll have 48 bottles.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 05-20-2009, 02:58 AM   #9
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And dumpster dive, ask friends, hit up the beer stores in town and offer to pay just the deposite on any of their empties, hit recycling bins and centers on saturdays, look on craigslist, and freecycle.com...put adds on both craigslist and freecycle, ask at your homebrew shop, see if theirs a club in your area, put something up at bulletin boards at your grocery store...there's any number of ways to acquire empties, quickly.... Ask at your local bars...and if there's any wedding reception halls either ask for or dumpster dive their champagne bottles since they hold pressure and can accept a crown cap....

Before I started, when my nephew brewed I gave him all my empties and he gave me a sixer back for every case worth I gave him...when I started brewing people gave me bottles...you might consider making the same offers to friends, families, neighbors....

In my apartment building several of my neighbors offer me their bottles.

In other words, no matter how broke you are, with some creativity you can get plenty of bottles.

-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:58 AM   #10
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Go to your local recycling center and get some. Give them a good wash and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply