Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Drinkable quick brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Default Drinkable quick brew?

I am loving brewing so far. I have 2 meads and a braggot (all 5 gallons) in the works but from my understanding none of these are going to be remotely drinkable until late winter/early spring. Is there any kind of brew that I can make in the interim that will be drinkable within 3 weeks or so. Call it impulsiveness but I'd like to enjoy some fruits of my labors sometime in the near future. I am going to run out of carboys here soon so something that can go straight from the primary to a growler or bottles would be ideal. I am wanting to do a cider once my first mead is bottled (aka a carboy frees up) but even that is going to take several months to come around.

If not, then I guess patience is a virtue (just not one of mine).
Thanks!
E

P.S. I am swinging by the local homebrew supply tomorrow so I can pick up some stuff there if needed!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

I was a winemaker, and meadmaker, long before I started making beer. But I felt like I needed something to make an drink in the long wait for my wines so I started brewing beer.

Beer is quick, certainly compared to mead anyway! Some beers, like a mild or a brown ale, can be ready to drink in just a couple of weeks.

If you're interested in a quick beer recipe, let us know what you'd like to drink and we can help point you in the right direction.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Might I suggest a light pale ale? EdWort's Haus Pale Ale is a great choice and can be ready in 3-4 weeks.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Well, when I comes to beer, I like dark and rich. Stout, porter... lol probably ones that take the longest. Amber's are alright. I am not too picky as long as it isn't light piss water. I kind of gave up beer (don't stone me!) when I got older and got into wines and avoiding a belly. I make the occasional exception for a good dark micro brew though. Brought myself home an excellent growler from Pagosa Brewing Co. on a recent excursion up there. When it comes to beer quality>quantity and I will usually just enjoy one or two in a sitting. And I mean really enjoy.

I will definitely make an exception in this case for any beer just to have something that I personally made to drink in the interim. I know, I know... I am a picky bi^&4.

P.S. never made beer so N00b me out. I only have EC1118 yeast and honey. I am guessing I'll need to pick up some other kind of yeast at the store tomorrow and some kind of a LME (hopped?). I'd prefer to prime with honey over corn sugar too if that is doable.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2189 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2170

I'm drinking a berliner weisse styled beer I pitched 10 days ago. Got the idea from Sean Cotes blog. For something everyone promised would smell like hot vomit, I think it tastes an awful lot like 1809.

whoops, missed the dark and rich bit there, disregard

Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
Well, when I comes to beer, I like dark and rich. Stout, porter... lol probably ones that take the longest. Amber's are alright. I am not too picky as long as it isn't light piss water. I kind of gave up beer (don't stone me!) when I got older and got into wines and avoiding a belly. I make the occasional exception for a good dark micro brew though. Brought myself home an excellent growler from Pagosa Brewing Co. on a recent excursion up there. When it comes to beer quality>quantity and I will usually just enjoy one or two in a sitting. And I mean really enjoy.

I will definitely make an exception in this case for any beer just to have something that I personally made to drink in the interim. I know, I know... I am a picky bi^&4.

P.S. never made beer so N00b me out. I only have EC1118 yeast and honey. I am guessing I'll need to pick up some other kind of yeast at the store tomorrow and some kind of a LME (hopped?). I'd prefer to prime with honey over corn sugar too if that is doable.
I'd skip any prehopped LME and buy some fresh LME or DME, some yeast and some hops.

A stout isn't hard. I can give you a great recipe. It comes from Brewing Classic Styles, and I made it ages ago.

5 pounds pale LME (unhopped)
2 pounds flaked barley
1 pound black roasted barley

2 ounces Kent Goldings 60 minutes

For yeast, use Irish ale yeast. If you want a dry, use S05.

Steep grains in 2 gallons of water at 150-155 for 30 minutes. Remove and bring to a boil. If you have a big enough pot and burner, bring your volume up to 5 gallons and add the LME. If not, bring to a boil and when boiling add the hops. After 55 minutes of boiling, add the LME by taking the pot off of the heat and stirring it in. Cool in a water bath, pour into a fermenter, top off to 5 gallons, and then add yeast. Ferment 10 days or so, until SG is the same for at least three days. Bottle, using .75 ounces of corn sugar ( or 4.6 ounces honey) by weight in 2 cups of boiling water to prime in the bottling bucket.

OG 1.042
FG 1.010

That should work well, for a quick stout recipe.
People Like This 
Old 09-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
dneubeck85
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have some great recipes for stouts....all will be ready three or four weeks. Chocolate vanilla java, brown sugar oatmeal, or a jet black chocolate based stout I call the obsidian. Let me know if u want recipes

Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Well, based on all the advice here, I guess I am delving into beer brewing this weekend. Seems a little more complicated upfront than what I am used to but I am sure I can handle it.

Thanks all!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 128

old rasputin is from grain to store in 30 days-try the byo recipe

Old 09-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneubeck85 View Post
I have some great recipes for stouts....all will be ready three or four weeks. Chocolate vanilla java, brown sugar oatmeal, or a jet black chocolate based stout I call the obsidian. Let me know if u want recipes
Obsidian sounds delicious! I am interested.

Quick Reply