Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > dried "foam crust" around top of bucket.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
heertsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default dried "foam crust" around top of bucket.

First batch went in the bucket last friday, stopped bubbling about tuesday. Took out a sample for #1 hydrometer reading today (will test and taste in about 1/2 hour)

Anyways, when i opened the lid, their was a really, looked almost hard, dried foam crust all the way around the top of the bucket.

Just checking with the board, this IS perfectly normal, right???

Smells good, strong, but good!

Will give it the taste test and hydrometer reading in just a bit (i hear you are suppose to let the sample settle for a 1/2 hour from somewhere).

Oh, BTW, check out my post in the general beer forum about finding homebrews 10 years later!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
heertsy
Recipes 

hyrdometer reading came out at 1.08. It tasted ok, SLIGHLY watery and first and still seemed to have a bit of a weird afterbite, but i think it tasted normal enuf for me to say i didn't destroy it.

Hey, my hydrometer also has a "potential alcohol" scale on it. That says the potential is only 2.5. That cannot be judged by that right???

Old 07-29-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The brown gunk at the top of your beer is perfectly normal.
Don't even judge your beer until it has been in the bottles for at least 3 weeks. You will be surprised how much the taste has changed.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 07-29-2007, 12:05 AM   #4
heertsy
Recipes 

i am getting worried, 10 minutes later, i still have this VERY weird and not good taste in my mouth. It tastes almost like soap or disinfectant of some sort.

I used BBrite for my sanitation part and rinsed everything pretty darn thouroughly....so i thought anyways.

Hopefully it will still mellow itself out. It smelled good, and the taste at first was good, but this aftertaste is NOT good.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by heertsy
i am getting worried, 10 minutes later, i still have this VERY weird and not good taste in my mouth. It tastes almost like soap or disinfectant of some sort.

I used BBrite for my sanitation part and rinsed everything pretty darn thouroughly....so i thought anyways.

Hopefully it will still mellow itself out. It smelled good, and the taste at first was good, but this aftertaste is NOT good.
AS I said, give it time. Don't throw it out yet!

Cheers,
Rich

Old 07-29-2007, 12:27 AM   #6
JimC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heertsy
Hey, my hydrometer also has a "potential alcohol" scale on it. That says the potential is only 2.5. That cannot be judged by that right???
You have (likely) more than 2.5% abv in there. That is your final gravity reading. To find you're AVB you must take you're original gravity reading from before you added your yeast and subtract your final gravity reading form it. This will tell you approximately how much sugar was converted into alcohol by the yeast and you can use that to find your ABV.

Good reading on how to do this:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter9-4.html
and
http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

Old 07-29-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
heertsy
Recipes 

I did sanitize and rinse out the hydrometer flask before sampling....MAYBE i used to strong a mix (sanitizer) for that, as i did just guess at the amount and just put it in my sink. i did rinse it out good though but am just hoping maybe it was in the flask and not the entire batch. Ofcourse i did the same with the turkey baster that I did dip into the entire wort.

Uhh...this taste is NOT going away either. about 45 minutes later I still feel this nasty bite in my mouth and on the end of my tongue.

I dunno, i honestly think the batch might be bad. Let's hope you are right Rich! i especially hate to go thru all the bottling hassle and realize it's still bad.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

You said disinfectant. Does it taste like band-aids by any chance?

Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 AM   #9
heertsy
Recipes 

orpheus, it's hard to explain. But i would say YES, it could be described as a band aid taste quite possibly.

Like i said, just like disinfectant, and it doesn't go away, it really sticks in your mouth. Not a good aftertaste AT ALL. Band aid could very well be a way to explain it!

Uh oh...

Old 07-29-2007, 12:52 AM   #10
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Still don't throw it out. There are too many stories around here of a beer that turned out great after it was forgotten about after 6 months, or after drinking a case and a half the brewer noticed it had improved.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply