Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Double sugar before bottling. I hope its ok now.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
biggerthanyou83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Double sugar before bottling. I hope its ok now.

Ok about a month ago I messed up by putting double the sugar before bottling my stout. I vented my stout in the bottles by cracking the lids a little bit for 4 weeks and then I add the sugar drops to recarbonate them. I have a few questions. 1 when you add the sugar drops is the beer supposed to fizz up for a second because that kind of made me concerned. and 2 how long should I leave them to carbonate on the drops? Is it still 3 weeks min? I put the beers in a box as I have pictured and placed the box in a thick black garbage bag. I hope they turn out good. I throughout about 6 beer, because for some reason the lids got clogged. The 6 beers that didn’t vent made a huge mess because as soon as I opened them they fizzed up like when you drop Mentos in a 2 liter of coke. What do you guys think?

edit-beer.jpg   edit-flat-2.jpg   edit-flat-box.jpg   edit-flat.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
biggerthanyou83
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

is the beer supposed to fiz for a quick second when you drop the priming sugar tab in the bottle?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerthanyou83 View Post
is the beer supposed to fiz for a quick second when you drop the priming sugar tab in the bottle?
I don't know as I have not used carbonation drops before, but it makes some sense that it would if you had them previously carbonated - even venting them won't release all of the carbonation, so dropping the sugar tab into a carbonated liquid is going to release some of the carbonation and cause a fizz.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
biggerthanyou83
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well I guess ill let it play out. We will c in about a month.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Maybe I'm missing something here. If they was over carbed and you vented them, but after 4 weeks you could pop the cap and drop in a carb drop. Did you chill one and try it. I afraid by dropping carb drops in carbed beer you will have some real gushers

Old 05-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
biggerthanyou83
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i poured one of the ones that were vented in a glass and it tasted flat as hell. All the lids were cracked/vented with in 4 hours of me putting the double sugar in them. I took a look today and there is no fizz or bubbles ontop of the beer like the 3rd picture so i have a feeling that they will be ok.

Reason: typo

Quick Reply