New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Double the ingredients, double the time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Ogie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Double the ingredients, double the time?

I currently boil my ingredients in about 3 gallons of water for a 5 gallon batch. I want to start brewing 10 gallon batches but placing them in 2 separate carboys.

-Can I add all the ingredients for 2 batches in the 3 gallons I boil and then divide that into half to put into 2 different carboys and then dilute them into 5 gallon batches again?

-And if so, do I need to boil the ingredients for 2 hours now, essentially doubling the hops schedule and everything else to make up for the extra ingredients?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There is no need to boil twice as long, however, you'll be brewing an extremely high gravity wort and your hop utilization times will tank...

Old 06-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You're gonna need a bigger boat......

Old 06-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
-Can I add all the ingredients for 2 batches in the 3 gallons I boil and then divide that into half to put into 2 different carboys and then dilute them into 5 gallon batches again?

-And if so, do I need to boil the ingredients for 2 hours now, essentially doubling the hops schedule and everything else to make up for the extra ingredients?
You could double the malt and hops to make two batches, but you have to consider that with all the extra stuff in that 3 gallons, your hop utilization is going to be off. You'll probably have to boil longer, probably not an extra hour as I doubt the relationship is linear; or add more hops. Might want to check with brewing software to see what adjustments need to be made, but I've found them to give some significantly different results for the same input.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you're inside on the stove, get another pot and do two batches in parallel. That's what I do. Only adds about an hour to the brew day (because can't cool them both at the same time) but I get 10 gallons instead of 5. Helps me keep up with consumption.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
fatmoose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerJorge View Post
There is no need to boil twice as long, however, you'll be brewing an extremely high gravity wort and your hop utilization times will tank...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
You could double the malt and hops to make two batches, but you have to consider that with all the extra stuff in that 3 gallons, your hop utilization is going to be off. You'll probably have to boil longer, probably not an extra hour as I doubt the relationship is linear; or add more hops. Might want to check with brewing software to see what adjustments need to be made, but I've found them to give some significantly different results for the same input.
There was just another thread on the board where it seems that the notion of hops utilization being tied to SG has been debunked. The author of How To Brew has backed off of that assertion as well as some other notable brewing folks. Apparently most brewing software has not caught up with this, it is a relatively new change. I'll have to see if I can find that thread.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

You can just do two boils. You will need to account for twice as much boil off though.

Quick Reply