Dortmunder Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerod1

Reaction score
Who has brewed a Dortmunder Ale and what are your experiences?
What should I expect in regards to flavor? Did you like it? Do you prefer it over a Kolsch?
Thanks for your help.

Have a friend up in WI who love this LAGER not high on my list don't care for hop profile enough recipes on the net one of the reasons I love to do this is all the different styles to choose from MaiBocks and De Gardes always have one or the other most times both on tap drinking a MB right now.....

I use German ale yeast in my Dortmunders all the time. I like it much better than when using lager yeast. And it's not as much of a hassle as making a lager.

I have Googled it and you can brew Dortmunders as an ale. There is a recipe for it at http://www.homebrewhq.com/Recipes/ForeignStyleAles.aspx#dortmunder

What are the opinions on this recipe?
Thanks.

I would agree with the others, a Dortmunder is a lager. Just because you can find a recipe on the web, that doesn't mean it is accurate. Sure you can brew it with ale yeast, but then it isn't a Dortmunder, it would be a Blonde ale.

The recipe looks fine for a blonde ale

Back