Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > don't want to waste left over grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
kh54s10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by mease19 View Post
This is one reason I kind of like kits - proven recipe and no materials overages.
This is one reason I DON'T like kits. I create my own recipes and with no left overs it requires that I buy a kit. I usually order at least twice what I need for a certain recipe so that I have left overs to experiment with.

This way the limiting factor on when I can brew is the timing of making a starter. (I also freeze yeast so I have 7 or 8 types of yeast on hand)

I work off proven recipes and make small alterations depending on my stock. I have not been disappointed yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Tenspeed
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Spent grain and leftovers go into bread around here. Pizza crust, loaves, burger/sausage buns, etc.

These two arts go together perfectly.

Ten

#1: Empty
#2: EdWort's Apfelwein
Mr. Beer: Empty
Bottled: Cherry Apple Cider, Red Ale

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 443

Well, I brewed this yesterday. Here's the finalized version of the recipe that I worked from:

6 lbs. Briess Pilsen Light DME
1 lbs. Belgian Soft Candi Sugar - Brown
8 oz. Belgian Special B
8 oz. Table Sugar (Sucrose)

1 oz. Sterling - 60 min.
0.5 oz. Liberty - 15 min.
0.5 oz. Liberty - 7 min.
0.5 oz. Styrian Goldings - 3 min.
0.5 oz. Styrian Goldings - 1 min.

Also, I made this a 5.5 gallon batch which brought the OG to 1.060

Everything went smoothly. After I chilled the wort most of the way, I went ahead and transferred the other batch to secondary in order to free up the yeast cake. I took the advice given here and what I read on other threads I found and dumped about half of the yeast cake (as best as I could tell as it sloshed all around the inside of the carboy). Then I poured the wort in on top of what was left and added the top-off water. Hid it away in the dark recesses of the basement.

I checked on it later last night. Nothing doing. Checked on it this morning. Nada. Checked on it just a few minutes ago. Still nothing.

It's getting close to 24 hours since pitching and nothing is happening. I know lag time is to be expected some times, but this is the first time in 7 batches that there wasn't solidly active fermentation within a few hours. Sooooo, I'm getting a little nervous. The good news is that my lhbs is open on Sundays. The bad news is that if I don't go get some more yeast today, my next opportunity wouldn't be until Wednesday morning (leaving super early tomorrow morning to go out of town for a couple days).

So, let's take a vote. Who says I should trust in the yeast, and that they will wake up and get to work sooner or later? {looks around for raised hands} Who says I should go pick up some fresh yeast from the lhbs and pitch it right in? {anybody? Buehler?}

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Give 'em time. There's no reason why they shouldn't wake up and get busy before too long. I've found that pitching with existing cake can take a little longer to get going than straight yeast with a starter. Also, Belgian strains are kinda known for having a long lag time. Patience, Grasshopper.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 443

OMG!

I just read your response and decided to take another look. There is a thin layer of krausen forming and a few bubbles coming through the airlock.

Yay! Now I can hide and not ask any stupid questions for the rest of the day.

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Quick Reply