New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Don't trust the airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
bonsai4tim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Don't trust the airlock

Brew #7 was new years eve afternoon, made another batch of porter (4th batch)

1 1/2 pounds pale malt
1/2 pound chocolate malt
1/4 pound black patent
1/2 pound caramel 60L
1 cup instant oatmeal
6 pounds LME
1 oz fuggles hops (60 min)

did a partial mash with the grains--I'm still not very good at keeping the temp level.

boiled off too much--added about 1/2 gallon cool water to return it to 5 gal.

Post boil OG was 1.060 at 68F

put this onto the yeast cake (S-33) from the previous porter batch and bubbled O2 through it for 5 min.

No airlock activity for 36 hours, so I checked this morning--

SG now 1.026! looks like my airlock and lid don't seal very well,

don't trust your air lock.

t

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Awfers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is why when I put the lid on a fermenter, I gently press down on it to make sure a few bubbles escape from the airlock, that way I know it's working...

Old 01-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If airlocks were supposed to tell you the beer is fermenting, they would be made with voices or flags or something.
I always trust mine. They prevent infections getting into the beer, and nothing more. Judging by the number of beers I've brewed that got infected while being guarded by my trusty airlock (0), I can confidently say that they do the job really well, and they are much more reliable than I am.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
cmoon
Recipes 

I'm in about the same boat. Started my first batch new year's eve and no activity from the airlock. Was doing my first fermentation in a plastic bucket though--and I don't really trust the seal on it. Given that I can smell the beer I assumed everything was OK, but paranoid was running high!

I finally called up one of our local home brewing shops and they said to just sneak a peak at the beer and make sure there was a big 'ol head growing on the thing. There was, and now I'm less freaked out.

Is there a danger of infecting your beer though when you open the fermenter?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoon View Post
Is there a danger of infecting your beer though when you open the fermenter?
Yes, there is. But not a huge one. So don't go peeking unnecessarily, but if you need to check it or take a hydrometer sample, don't be afraid to crack it open.

If I'm just wanting to look and see how the krausen is (opaque bucket) I just pull out the air lock stopper and peer through the little hole. Lets me get my voyuristic beer jollies, but minimizes exposure.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Awfers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Or get some carboys for fermenters..

Old 01-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
cmoon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfers View Post
Or get some carboys for fermenters..
I have one, was planning on using it for the second phase of fermentation; although I'm not sure I understand the significance of this other than that I'll be dry hopping at that point. Perhaps I could have done all of it in the carboy. Is there some significance of switching fermenters? (perhaps moving the beer away from all the sediment)

Alternatively, I could always pick up a second carboy I suppose. I can see why every batch of beer has people wanting to go out and purchase more gear/toys.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Awfers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoon View Post
I have one, was planning on using it for the second phase of fermentation; although I'm not sure I understand the significance of this other than that I'll be dry hopping at that point. Perhaps I could have done all of it in the carboy. Is there some significance of switching fermenters? (perhaps moving the beer away from all the sediment)

Alternatively, I could always pick up a second carboy I suppose. I can see why every batch of beer has people wanting to go out and purchase more gear/toys.
It's called "capacity", a problem for each and every brewer, no matter how big or small their batches are..

Getting your beer off the sediment isn't a life or death situation, there are some valid reasons for doing it, but a major one is that a secondary fermentation vessel also frees up your fermenter for the next batch

Use a carboy for that too... Plastic is good, but can get scratches etc that can harbour bacteria that you don't want in your beer. Glass doesn't scratch that easily.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Rook

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Get a better bottle, 6 gallon. You can safely ferment 5 gallon beers in them (plenty of head room), and they will not break if you accidentally drop them. Also, lots of rinsing with hot water and then sanitizer basically negates any need to scrub, thus potentially incurring scratches. I haven't had a krausen that I have had to scrub yet.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Hmmmm, I think I might have mentioned something about not trusting airlocks a time or two.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply