Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Don't have a 4-5 gallon pot...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
drb471
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Don't have a 4-5 gallon pot...

Last weekend I finally took the next step from the Mr Beer kits, and got a bigger kit during a road trip to Tucson. I don't recall the name of the store, but I was blown away the moment I walked in there, and the sales guy was awesome.

Anyhow, the kit consists of a 5 gallon fermenting bucket, and 5 gallon bottling bucket, with all other accessories. However, I don't have a 5 gallon stock pot. I've been combing all of the local thrift stores hoping to find one, as I've seen what the can cost in department stores, and brewing stores. Is there a way around this in the meantime? Is it possible to steep the grains in a smaller pot, and make up for it when adding to the fermenting bucket? Yes, a total "newbie" question, I know...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Get a 20qt stock pot, use 2.5-3 gal then top off to 5-6 in fermenter.
Called partial boil, used very commonly, and with great success.
Full boil is better if possible, but sometimes not able to do on stovetop, and the pot can be more expensive, and you will need a chiller instead of using cold top off water.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

a 20 quart/5 gallon enamal stock/canning pot is 19.95 at walmart. perfect for partial boil 5 gallon batches.

sure, it will chip in a decade or so, yes it's slightly less efficient for cooling in an ice bath, but lots of beer has been made in them.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
jesserizzo
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As stated above, topping off in the fermenter is no problem, but a full boil is slightly better. If/when you decide to go full boil, you will be starting out with 6 or 6.5 gallons of liquid, and need to allow plenty of head space to avoid boilovers, so I'd go with no less than an 8 gallon pot. You can check ebay, and homebrewfinds.com for deals on big pots. And don't shy away from aluminum, it's fine.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

I've been using the same 5 gallon 20QT stock pot that I started with. I'm up to PB/PM BIAB atm. A wind up with 3.5 gallons boil volume after the mash & sparge.Top off in the fermenter to 5 or 6 gallons,depending on the recipe.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb471 View Post
Last weekend I finally took the next step from the Mr Beer kits, and got a bigger kit during a road trip to Tucson. I don't recall the name of the store, but I was blown away the moment I walked in there, and the sales guy was awesome.

Anyhow, the kit consists of a 5 gallon fermenting bucket, and 5 gallon bottling bucket, with all other accessories. However, I don't have a 5 gallon stock pot. I've been combing all of the local thrift stores hoping to find one, as I've seen what the can cost in department stores, and brewing stores. Is there a way around this in the meantime? Is it possible to steep the grains in a smaller pot, and make up for it when adding to the fermenting bucket? Yes, a total "newbie" question, I know...

Look at all of your local LARGE grocery stores that sell kitchen items as well. I was able to pick up a 20qt SS pot for $19.99 on sale. I also bought a 30qt SS pot for $49.99(wasn't on sale) as well, and it has a strainer inside it.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
drb471
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

By "enamel", do you mean the porcelain black pots with white speckles? Hopefully so, because that's what I ended up getting. Guaranteed to "not alter the taste, texture, or color of food".

Old 03-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb471 View Post
By "enamel", do you mean the porcelain black pots with white speckles? Hopefully so, because that's what I ended up getting. Guaranteed to "not alter the taste, texture, or color of food".
yes.
That pot will work.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
jstraight
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

drb471
Sent you a pm

Retirement is great! Brew beer, fly fish and watch baseball, it doesn't get any better! John

Old 03-31-2013, 03:40 AM   #10
doubletapbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use a granite ware enamled stock pot that looks exactly like the one you described. Has worked great so far.

Quick Reply