*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Done with kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
morganamps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

After my 3rd kit I think I'm moving on to BIAB

I just want more control over what I'm doing. Extracts are both easy and uninspiring

I don't even know what type of hops I used on the last kit. When they labeled the hops things like flavor or bitters it just makes me feel stupid kind of like calling blue #2 on a paint by numbers painting.
I prefer to call it blue or even indigo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 756 Times on 634 Posts
Likes Given: 248

I've been doing BIAB for a couple of years now and I agree, kits were a nice way to get started but all grain gives you lots more ways to screw up a brew. A lot more challenging and more fun and I've been able to drink all the beers I've made but it's just the last few that I'm really proud of.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

BIAB really does open up a whole world of possibilities. It was moving to BIAB that got me interested in the science if brewing. A lot can be done with extract recipe design as well. Use of simple sugar and maltodextrin can be used to adjust attenuation. With extract you don't have to worry about messing up the mash.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
WannabeBeerNerd
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm right there with you just did my first BIAB last night after 2 extract batches...little more complicated, but ultimately more rewarding, at least to me...let you know in a month or so whether or not I was successful at stepping up my game...KCCO

Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
AVLbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds good! Have fun exploring the recipe database on this site! There are lots of great recipes that people have put a considerable amount of time into. Or take some of those recipes and alter/edit them your self. No more paint by numbers!

Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
DPBISME
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganamps View Post
After my 3rd kit I think I'm moving on to BIAB

I just want more control over what I'm doing. Extracts are both easy and uninspiring

I don't even know what type of hops I used on the last kit. When they labeled the hops things like flavor or bitters it just makes me feel stupid kind of like calling blue #2 on a paint by numbers painting.
I prefer to call it blue or even indigo
I bought a few kits but ususally did not use the yeast and sometimes other hops.

Even if the recipie did not call for it I steeped grain and made pretty good beer..

I moved on to All-Grain after ten (11) years just because I wanted to brew more like a real brewer and have been very happy.

BUT IMO,,, you can make good beer with extracts...just don't follow their directions...

Old 03-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I'm with you OP, I'd like to stick with partial mash recipes for the time being. It was pretty cool having to buy individual ingredients and even toasting some oats in my oven. Reading Palmer's "How to Brew" and Mosher's "Radical Brewing" has been so interesting and informative. I think "uninspiring" is a good word for kits, although to each his own. To use a food analogy, sometimes its easier to pop that pre-made meal in the microwave than to cook something up yourself, fresh.

So many recipes...

Fermenter: Belgian Amber
Bottles: Pale Ale, Scotch Ale, ESB, Robust Porter

Old 03-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty_Dog View Post
...Reading Palmer's "How to Brew" and Mosher's "Radical Brewing" has been so interesting and informative.
Agreed.

Also, one of the best home brewing books I've read is Gordon Strong's "Brewing Better Beer" It answers a lot of the questions you'd probably ask a very accomplished home brewer. It's very anecdotal and a great read.

Good luck with the all grain adventure! There's a few more consequences to what you do on brewday (vs. extract), but that's half the fun of this hobby...constantly working on little things to make great beer. My advice is; take extremely detailed notes. Even if it seems silly to write it down, record it so that you can refer back to it when you make a kick ass beer.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
BxBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

It all comes down to the quality of the "kits". The run of the mill stuff is going to give lacluster results. One can doctor them but meh. A quality kit can be as good as a quality BiaB. In blind tasting, no one can tell the diffrence in my brews. 90% of the tasters prefered the extract brew in the blind tasting. Like what was said up top, more can go wrong.

Home brewing isnt looked at as a hobby by some people. Some do it out of necessity. We can't get good craft beer at our store or bar. Not unless you want to pay $20+ for a six pack. We have life and other hobbies we have invested in. In the end were all home brewers no matter how far you take it.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
billl
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Kit vs make your own recipe is really a separate topic from extract vs AG. You can certainly make your own extract recipes and learn all about hops and fermenting in the process. You can also buy AG kits and the hops and grains will be labeled similarly to the extract kits.

And honestly, there are people making fantastic, award winning extract brews. If you want to hop into AG, great. It's fun and rewarding. If you are just trying to get away from kits though, you can just as easily make great beer with extract and your own recipe.

It also doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. I prefer the AG process, but if I can't clear out a good 6 hr block on a weekend, I'll gladly knock out an extract batch on a weeknight.

Quick Reply