Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Done bottling - does storage temp matter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
howardbeach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Done bottling - does storage temp matter?

I just finished bottling my first batch. Does the storage temperature still matter? I'd like to keep them in the garage (60 degrees )instead of the house (68 degrees.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Storage temperature doesn't matter as long as it's above freezing and below, say, 85 degrees. Warmer temps result in faster aging/staling.

For carbonation, it's generally a good idea to keep the bottles fairly warm - at 60 degrees, it might take a few weeks for the bottles to carb all the way. At 68, it'll be quicker. I carb mine in the upper 70s, and they are usually done within 10 days.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 04-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 17

+1 on warmer carbing temps. Once it's carbed, you can store it cold. But for the first few weeks, you want it at 70+ F.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If you add a small amount of lager yeast to the bottling bucket it will carb well at 60. It would still take a little more time than at 70 but not near as much as with only ale yeast. With some ale yeast it may never carb at 60.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
jescholler
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had the same question as you earlier this week (substitute basement for garage). I decided that I'll carb my bottles in a water bath for a couple of weeks and then keep them in the basement.

So far my materials are:
-35 gallon tote from Menards
-150W aquarium heater (Amazon.com: Jager 150 W Heater 13 inch UL Approved: Home & Garden)

As an added bonus, the tote can hold a fermenting bucket or a carboy, keeping those temps in check as well.

I'll be bottling next week, so I haven't tried out this setup yet.

Primary: Not until fall :(
Bottle: English Barleywine
On Deck: Session APA, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

Old 06-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
quagmire
Recipes 

I am a beginner brewer, i started with just a can of Munton's IPA malt extract and some sugar. the basic kit.
I fermented for 10 days at room temp (73 F). the specific gravity stayed at 1.008 so i bottled (with the 2/3 cup sugar for carbonation). then i stored at the same temp. (73 F) in a dark closet for 10 more days to condition.
Now it has been in the fridge for a little over a week and I am unsure of the taste. There is no head on the beer and it tastes slightly flat, maybe a little watery. The caps are tight, I added the sugar for carbonation. what could my problem be? Did I not condition the beer for long enough or at the proper temp? Or is the fridge too cold? or do i just need to give it more time? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I am a beginner brewer, i started with just a can of Munton's IPA malt extract and some sugar. the basic kit.
I fermented for 10 days at room temp (73 F). the specific gravity stayed at 1.008 so i bottled (with the 2/3 cup sugar for carbonation). then i stored at the same temp. (73 F) in a dark closet for 10 more days to condition.
Now it has been in the fridge for a little over a week and I am unsure of the taste. There is no head on the beer and it tastes slightly flat, maybe a little watery. The caps are tight, I added the sugar for carbonation. what could my problem be? Did I not condition the beer for long enough or at the proper temp? Or is the fridge too cold? or do i just need to give it more time? any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would take them out of the fridge, and let them condition at room temperature for two more weeks before chilling them. 10 days may seem like a long time when you're waiting for your beer, but usually it takes at least 21 days for them to condition satisfactorily.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2275 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

Yep, about 2 weeks at 70ish, and then cool them down. Otherwise it will take longer to get the carb. Too warm and you are not doing any favors either though. Just make sure they not too cold for fermentation.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 07-02-2009, 01:16 AM   #9
quagmire
Recipes 

cool. thanks. I put them back at room temp. to condition. Will the yeast start working again?

Old 07-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
cool. thanks. I put them back at room temp. to condition. Will the yeast start working again?
Yes. To be sure, you can give then a gentle end-over-end turn when you warm them up. That will rouse any yeast that pooped out early because of the cooler temperature.

Quick Reply