Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Doing an extract wheat next and have some simple questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #11
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Cool. I was looking at the Briess Wheat DME (just Googling around). Would that one be good? Also, being that wheat portion, from what I've read, is not really fermentable how much should I use to replace the 300g of Dextrose? Thanks again for your help!

Rev.
I have used Briess Wheat DME and been happy. I don't think there's much difference in fermentability with a wheat DME - vs any other DME. Much of what's in DME is maltose which is highly fermentable. The main differences would be in flavor contributions from the base grain. In general DME adds almost as much PPG as Dextrose. I think the difference is 44 PPG vs 46 PPG. Much of what makes a wheat beer taste like it does is the yeast, and you've definitely chosen a good yeast for that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex23 View Post
In general DME adds almost as much PPG as Dextrose. I think the difference is 44 PPG vs 46 PPG.
Hiya Hex. So should I go with 1lb of Wheat DME or more? Here's what I'm thinking so far:

5 Gallon batch
3.75lb can Cooper's Hopped Wheat Extract
500g Light Dry malt
1lb Briess Wheat DME
4.25oz Wyeast 3068

I do love the banana/clove esters so I guess I'd rather under pitch. I actually just read about this morning on the way to work in Palmer's book. He seems to suggest it's better to under pitch as well, and since Wyeast claims it should do a 5 gallon batch fine I'll trust them.

Does this seem good to go? Looking to order the stuff soon so if there are any other suggestions please let me know guys!

Rev.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
Rev2010
Recipes 

Whoops, just went back and noticed you recommended 2.5lbs of Wheat DME earlier. Sorry for asking again!

Rev.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I think going with Wheat DME will be good. I think any wheat DME is going to be part Wheat and part Barley anyway. Breiss is 65 wheat, 35 Barley. So being balanced, doing all wheat DME will not put you too far in the wheat direction. The advantage to doing a 5.5 gallon batch would be that your going to lose some volume to yeast, maybe break material, and possible blow-off (no hops trub in your case) and so you'll be able to bottle at least 5 gallons of beer. Also Breiss and many others DME come in 3 lb bags, so not much waste. If your fermenter can do 6 gallons, then I assume it's fairly large bucket, so I'd think you'l have adequate headspace for 5.5 gallons - and maybe avoid blowoff altogether. I'm gotten into the habit lately of almost always installing a blowoff because the mess not not worth not doing so. And if you will be fermenting at a higher temp to encourage banana, etc, then I think that's another reason why wheat yeasts are said to be so prone to blow-off. You can always switch back to an air-lock after main ferm is done.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
Rev2010
Recipes 

Hmm, only issue with my plastic Cooper's fermenter is the airlock hole is tiny, it snuggly fits the plastic airlock it comes with. Don't know how I could setup a blowoff with that small hole. Just to be sure, are you recommending just doing all wheat DME and skipping the 500g light dry malt?

Rev.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #16
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Actually all the DME amounts I gave earlier assume your're going to also use the 500 g light DME - these amounts give OG of 1.053 and estimated ABV of 5.25. I don't know enough about the base taste of that kit (e.g. contribution of the LME) to tell you which direction to go (all wheat DME, or keep the 500 g light). I'd bet that a 65/35 wheat DME would not change the overall balance of wheat to barly much, but it's impossible to tell without knowing the balance in the LME. So I'd recommend just keeping the 500g DME. You're likely going to make a good beer with the direction your headed as long as you mind the other important things like water, ferm time and temp, etc. Then you can adjust from there as you like. Nice thing about a wheat is that they mature relatively fast. You can taste and adjust your next batch. It's very difficult to nail exactly what you're looking for the first time without some basis for comparison. Customization and recipe formulation usually is done by some trial and error.

Is your air-lock, the three piece type? If so, then you can probably fit a 1/4"? or 5/16"? tube snugly into the upper plastic tube. Lots of people do this, including me. Otherwise you'll have to make another fitting.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #17
Rev2010
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex23 View Post
Is your air-lock, the three piece type? If so, then you can probably fit a 1/4"? or 5/16"? tube snugly into the upper plastic tube. Lots of people do this, including me. Otherwise you'll have to make another fitting.
No, it's the plastic "S" type. I think I'll just take a chance and go ahead with the airlock hoping the extra headroom in my fermenter is enough to prevent blow out. If not, it will be a learning experience lol. Then I would know I should probably get another fermenter for hefe's as I plan to do a lot of them as it's my favorite type of beer (though I love pretty much all).

Rev.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

It sounds like you have the Cooper's fermeter? I had a hard time finding the exact size of that one. There are stories of some fermenations going absolutely nuts, but above a ceratain amount of headspace blowoff is unlikely to happen. I have had pretty major blowoff in a 5.5 gallon batch of Belgian strong ale in a 6.5 gallon bucket, but it sounds like your bucket might be even bigger. Might also be worthwhile to read some accounts on the activity level of that yeast. Search these forums for Wyeast 3068 blowoff.

Quick Reply