Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > DOH !! - First Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #71
CDGoin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

The 7 wasnt as big as it was the place to put it was small.. I have a microwave over the stove.. so height is limited.

Once I get more room in my garage, I am sure a burner (and maybe larger pots) will be on order.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #72
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
The 7 wasnt as big as it was the place to put it was small.. I have a microwave over the stove.. so height is limited.

Once I get more room in my garage, I am sure a burner (and maybe larger pots) will be on order.
Yeah, thats it. I started off doing everything indoors. Now the only thing I do indoors is pour a pint before heading to the garage to brew. AG Brewing is not something I like to do indoors.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.
- Homer Simpson

Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #73
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
Yea.. the grains F up was the biggie..

Already got a new 7 gallon pot, but found it a bit big.. my mom has an older 6 gallon brew pot (She collects kitchen equipment and junk) that I think will work fantastic.. can't wait to try it out.

Thanks for the tips on IBUs, still trying to figure out exactly what they are to my taste buds.. but think I have a good feel for it. I am going to try to hold myself back and do a stock recipe next time. That said, I said that last time..
Get a brewers best kit for a style that you like and follow the instructions/recipe with regards to hopping. OR think of a beer that you like and look for clone recipes and follow them. This is going to be the best way to determine how you feel about bitterness in a specific style. Then next time if there was something that you didn't like (too bitter, too much hop flavor, too much hop aroma) you can adjust.

Boil longer for bitterness.
boil 20-5 minutes for flavor (some bitterness contribution).
boil 5 to 0 minutes for aroma (almost no bitterness contribution).

Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #74
CDGoin
Recipes 

OK.. first bottle out of the frig.

Its good !!

Good:

1) Subtle smells of Dark Chocolate and Vanilla

2) Very Malty hit to the tongue (Can taste the over cooked grain.. that's for sure.. but in a pumpernickel way.. if this were bread it would definitely be pumpernickel)

3) Nice carbonation.. a bit mild, but gives that nice sharpness to it.

4) Lots of vanilla.. (Wonder why).. but again not in a terribly bad way. I can see doing half the beans in the boil like I did and then the 2 beans or so in the secondary. While a lot of vanilla is there, its also not in your face.. probably due to the strong malty flavor from the grains.

No "Off flavors" that I can tell (Other than what I know where they came from, see above).

Overall very happy with it.. and if a few survive for a few more weeks who knows if it will get even better. Good thing is that its good enough right now I may drink it all before it "gets better".

On negative.. slight burps bring back a very almost hoppy flavor.

Overall compared to Duck-Rabbits Milk Stout, its a bit sharper, more vanilla, a little more malty and a bit less body.

For a beer that's only 22 days old (1 week fermentor, 2 weeks bottles) it could be worse.. and as others have noted, at 21 days its a little early to be drinking it.

To which my reply is : "If its drinkable and tastes good.. why should I wait ??"

No seriously.. any reason ? Other than the beer will probably get better.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #75
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
No seriously.. any reason ? Other than the beer will probably get better.
Not just better but much better. It takes much more than 21 days for a stout to ferment out, get properly carbonated and mature into a fine beer. Have your wife hide some of those for another 2 months and then sample those and ask yourself why you drank so many that weren't ready. It really will get much better.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #76
CDGoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Not just better but much better. It takes much more than 21 days for a stout to ferment out, get properly carbonated and mature into a fine beer. Have your wife hide some of those for another 2 months and then sample those and ask yourself why you drank so many that weren't ready. It really will get much better.
Well I know WHY..

But think I will leave a few 6 packs in the fridge.. got another 2 weeks till the monthly HB Club meeting..

I am also noticing a bit of inconsistency.. so will let whats left of the batch age a bit. Guess I will just have to go to the local beer store and get something to tide me over.

AT least now if I need to RDWHAHB I CAN
DrummerBoySeth Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #77
CDGoin
Recipes 

Well.. the 1st batch was a success !! Consistency over the 3 six packs I drank wasn't too bad.. lots of what I am sure others will describe as "Off-flavors". But it is beer and it is drinkable.. and good enough one could argue it tastes just like I wanted it too.. All I know I would rather drink this Home Brew than any BMC..

Doing my 3rd (and probably last Extract) batch.. ( 2nd is an Oktoberfest I Infused with an extra 2 lbs of honey and have it lagering in the fridge now.. )

This one is a Russian Imperial Stout.. and day 2 the Krausen is just beautiful.. nice brown tips of yeast on top of a 1-1/2" tall head.. and its only at about the 18 hour mark..

Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #78
CDGoin
Recipes 

Well.. may have spoke too soon.. Possible Infection (Doubtful).

I think although I was told aging will make it get better.

Have to say.. apparently not always the case..

The grainy flavor from overcooking the grains, is starting to come a LOT more forward, and even a touch more sourness has started to appear.

Opens random ones from the stash, and 95% the same across the board.

Oh well..

Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #79
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

If I read prior post correctly, you are about 4 weeks from brewing this, correct? It still isn't ready. Some of my stouts and porters changed drastically from week 4 to week 10. Try hiding the rest of this batch (if you have any left) and give it the time it needs.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #80
CDGoin
Recipes 

OH after the first night I was getting 2-3 a night.. but noticed all of a sudden they went bad.. Not sure if it was teh extended time in the fridge or what.

So I have taken them out of the fridge and back into storage. I have a local brew group meeting next Wed I wanted to take some too..

I'll leave them be for now, and let them age.. hopefully they will get better.

Would it be a bad idea to shake them all, to maybe get the yeast active again.. if there is anything for them to do that is.

I'm wondering if the "good" ones weren't the first part of the bottling when things were going well.. and the were later in the bottling. Because later in the bottling it got messy and I can see them possibly getting infected then (Dogs got let in, wand and hose started to leak..) it wasn't fun. Letting them age definitely isn't going to hurt, so for the time being I forget them in the garage somewhere while my better batches brew..

Quick Reply