Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > DOH !! - First Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
twalte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
Great to know.. !

Now why did I do the wrong thing..?

If I reduced the bittering time, but left flavor and aroma stand..? Wouldn't that eliminate the bitter hopiness of the beer, but leave the aroma ?
I think you may be confusing hoppiness with bitterness. You want some bitterness to offset the sweetness of the malt. By adding the hops late, your beer will be hoppier and sweeter since there is no bitterness to balance out the beer.

If you add hops with 60 minutes to go, you will not really detect any hops when you taste the beer. If you add hops closer to the end, that is when you maintain the flavor and aroma of the hops. Net, you probably increased the "hoppiness".

Either way, just enjoy the beer and learn with each batch.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoySeth View Post
Once you are ready for your next brew, check out the Deception Cream Stout recipe from NC Beernut. It is one of the best stouts I have ever brewed. It meets all your criteria (smooth, dark, and not bitter).

I am also not a huge hop-head either. I tend to stick to stouts, porters, and I LOVE Belgian styles. Belgian beers are usually not hoppy at all, and are full of amazing, complex flavors. Probably the biggest advantage to brewing Belgian styles is the fact that Belgian yeast strains are often very tolerant of higher temperatures. Many of them are happiest in the high 70's, or even the low to mid 80's. This makes summer brewing here in NC a whole lot easier.

Try not to worry too much about the mistakes you made with your first brew. Most (maybe all!) of us have similar stories of screw-ups from early in our brewing endeavors. It sounds like you figured out where you went wrong, and I doubt that you will make the same mistakes again. I try to learn something new, or apply improvements to my process every time I brew. It could be steeping/mashing temp control, or fermentation temperature control, or possibly yeast pitching rates or fermentation time. Whatever the case may be, always strive to figure out where you went wrong and not repeat those problems. Soon enough you will have a solid system in place, you will be entering your beer in homebrew competitions, and your friends will be constantly bugging you to make new beer for them to try.

Relax, have a craft brew (to hold you over until the first homebrews are ready!) and have fun. Brewing should be enjoyable. Your beer will probably be OK at the very least, and there is a fairly good chance it will be better than you expected. Welcome to the hobby/addiction/obsession that is homebrewing.
Thanks will do.. and your close enough might have you over ( and of course You are ALWAYS welcome to invite me over ) to test my brews

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #13
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Thanks will do.. and your close enough might have you over ( and of course You are ALWAYS welcome to invite me over ) to test my brews
Where are you located?

I have some of that Deception Cream Stout in the fridge right now. I would be willing to share one.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 01-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
rklinck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts

Another option for people who don't like bitterness is to use more mellow hops for bitterring. I am not a hop head, So I use lots of Czech Saaz for bitterring and get IBUs within range. I find this produces a very smooth, palatable beer.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Is there such a thing as "overly sweet"

Where can I find said list..?

Thanks
There is a sweetness level that at a point makes it unpalatable.
As for list, just google your favorite beer, reviews for your favorite beer or clone recipes. One of those sources will list bitterness in the form of IBU (international bitterness unit)
Online hops calculators will give you the expected IBU of the beer you want to brew based on the AA (alpha acids) listed on your hops package, when it is added to the boil and size of boil.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #16
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklinck View Post
Another option for people who don't like bitterness is to use more mellow hops for bitterring. I am not a hop head, So I use lots of Czech Saaz for bitterring and get IBUs within range. I find this produces a very smooth, palatable beer.
excellent point. I also like Saaz alot. I agree, It does make for very smooth, unobtrusive brews. I use it in nearly every Belgian style I brew. For American and British styles Hallertau, Willamette, and East Kent Goldings are also very balanced, neutral hops.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 01-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
CDGoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoySeth View Post
Where are you located?

I have some of that Deception Cream Stout in the fridge right now. I would be willing to share one.
2-1/2 hours north, Midlothian, VA, just southwest of Richmond, VA

Been going and seeing my mom in Salisbury pretty recently.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
CDGoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menerdari View Post
There is a sweetness level that at a point makes it unpalatable.
As for list, just google your favorite beer, reviews for your favorite beer or clone recipes. One of those sources will list bitterness in the form of IBU (international bitterness unit)
Online hops calculators will give you the expected IBU of the beer you want to brew based on the AA (alpha acids) listed on your hops package, when it is added to the boil and size of boil.
Thanks

From what I can tell the Breckenridge is in the 30 IBU range, just where this Milk Stout was..

So, I guess there is becoming a strong chance I will end up with carbonated syrup..

Also, I took the 8 vanilla beans and cut them and split them and added to the boil.. Seems from a few posts here, the way to add the vanilla (And from what it seems a smaller quantity than the whole bag) is after fermentation.. So.. what affect will that possibly have ?

Anyway to fix some of this before bottling..?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Hogarthe
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Thanks

From what I can tell the Breckenridge is in the 30 IBU range, just where this Milk Stout was..

So, I guess there is becoming a strong chance I will end up with carbonated syrup..

Also, I took the 8 vanilla beans and cut them and split them and added to the boil.. Seems from a few posts here, the way to add the vanilla (And from what it seems a smaller quantity than the whole bag) is after fermentation.. So.. what affect will that possibly have ?

Anyway to fix some of this before bottling..?
adding the vanilla after fermentation is supposed to help keep the vanilla flavor ion the beer. adding it to the boil, some of the flavor will possibly boil off. You added a lot of beans though, so you'll probably have enough flavor left.

I'd be worried about boiling the grains. I haven't ever done that myself, so I don't know exactly what it will taste like, but I've heard that causes an overly tannic beer, which will taste astringent. it's too late to do anything about it though, so just ferment and bottle it and see how it turns out.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
CDGoin
Recipes 

Update #1

Apparently my sanitation skill and the temp in the garage are good..

It's fermenting very well.. the cap is burping every 4-5 secs, and this is in what I was told is an older Mr. Brew Kit.

I like it better than the other kits I have seen.. and can't even find this one anywhere online. I like that its see thru.

In any case, fermented enough to pressurize about 3 gallons of air space.. thats' good right..? It at least makes me think I am doing something right.

Quick Reply