Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dogs & Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
arwelsh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Dogs & Brewing

Anyone have experience brewing around dogs? I did my first batch at my parent's house and my 10 year old was there but he mostly sleeps on my parent's bed at this point. I'm doing my second batch this weekend and have a 2 year old with me. She's got quite a bit more energy but doesn't normally try and grab at food or anything. Worst she does is sit at a decently respectful distance and stare at you when you're eating.

I've read that hops are poisonous for dogs to the point of making dark chocolate seem like a milk bone.

Is there anything else I need to be cautious of? Is there some potential that dander or hair just from her presence in the room is going to ruin the whole process?

I can close her out if I must and it's not like I'm going to let her sip hot wort or anything she just tends to be a 2nd shadow of mine.

***I can't stress this enough. Hops are deadly to dogs. There is a movement due to brewing's increasing popularity to get this added to packaging. I think as it stands right now it's responsible for somewhere north of 10 deaths a year. I've read by the time they show signs of sickness it's too late and the only ones that are typically saved are either huge or the owner was aware of the danger and saw the dog with them. Help spread the word to others who don't know.***

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

I have dogs and will put them outside or lock them in the other room while i brew just in case i drop hops pellets accidentally. Better safe than sorry. Besides the vet bill would be very expensive if my dog developed malignant hypothermia.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

I'd at least prep all my hops by putting each addition into a small bowl and keep them out of harms way. Other than that nothing will hurt your beer before you start chilling. Be aware propane attracts mosquitoes so if your dog has issues with them might want to keep him inside

Old 07-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 117

My 2 dogs hang out with when Me when I brew. No problem. They are both pretty mellow and just like to hang out and be dogs.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
arwelsh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I'd at least prep all my hops by putting each addition into a small bowl and keep them out of harms way. Other than that nothing will hurt your beer before you start chilling. Be aware propane attracts mosquitoes so if your dog has issues with them might want to keep him inside
I'll be inside but I've never heard that about propane before... Interesting. I'll prob just put a baby gate at the kitchen door.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Yes burning propane gives off co2 which attracts mosquitoes.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
arwelsh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Yes burning propane gives off co2 which attracts mosquitoes.
Oh damn... And you're from interior FL? I'll take what you say about mosquitoes as gospel.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have hops growing in my back yard, and the dogs don't bother with them. The big guy will pee on em every now and then, but neither has shown any interest in the plants or cones.

And, as for brewing with the dogs, they aren't much help. I've tried to get the big guy to help by stirring the mash, but he said he can't because he doesn't have thumbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

This summer, besides our chocolate lab, we have my son's black lab (4 months old) and both know better than to get in my way while brewing. Plus, they are good dogs but sometimes nosey. Give them a smell of hops and they'll go away!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

My 14 year old dachshund hangs out in the kitchen with me when I'm brewing. Actually, she hangs out with me whenever I'm in the kitchen.

I've never had a problem with her being there. Of course, she doesn't shed like a diseased Wookie like some dogs seem to. And having 2 inch legs pretty much ensures that she won't be jumping up on the counter.

I've made a couple batches of treats for her with my used grains. She LOVES them. Super easy to make - I just mix up a bowl while the wort is boiling and bake them during the brew.

Quick Reply