Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does this yeast look okay to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
BigE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Does this yeast look okay to you?

Hi everyone,
first I want to say what a great site this is! I've been reading like crazy and watching tons of videos before I create my first batch. I just recieved a kit from Midwest brewing yesterday and I got the White Labs WLP001 ale yeast. It was shipped in a cool bag with a ice pack and I stuck the yeast in the refrigerator as soon as I opened it. I'm brewing my first batch tonight and I pulled the yeast to take a look at it. There seems to be a lot of sediment in the tube. Is the yeast okay? Did it survive the shipping? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's the yeast. Looks great to me.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yup. looks like yeast. (the sediment is the yeast)

Old 04-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Looks perfect to me, you just need to shake it up before you add it to your starter. You are going to make a starter, right?

Oh and when you do open it after shaking, be aware that that tube is under pressure, so it will woosh and may gush when you open it. People have had it spray all over when they didn't know.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I sprayed SWMBO first time. Got grounded for a few weeks.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 04-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Yep, that looks like... yeast.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
BigE
Recipes 

LOL..thanks for the heads up on the pressure. I've been debating whether or not to make a starter for my first batch. I need to continue researching the steps and epuipment needed for that...I think for my first batch I'd like to get comfortable with just the basic steps first.

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
LOL..thanks for the heads up on the pressure. I've been debating whether or not to make a starter for my first batch. I need to continue researching the steps and epuipment needed for that...I think for my first batch I'd like to get comfortable with just the basic steps first.

Thanks for the input guys!
FWIW, starters are a GREAT idea when using liquid yeast. There isnt a large cell count in that vial... yeah yeah, they ALL say that you can just pitch the vial, but be prepared for a possibly LONG lag time while the yeast reproduce prior to fermenting.

All you need to make a starter is some wort, or DME, or LME. Boil it in some water, cool it, place it in a container with some foil over the top and wait 24-48 hours

Old 04-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
FWIW, starters are a GREAT idea when using liquid yeast. There isnt a large cell count in that vial... yeah yeah, they ALL say that you can just pitch the vial, but be prepared for a possibly LONG lag time while the yeast reproduce prior to fermenting.

All you need to make a starter is some wort, or DME, or LME. Boil it in some water, cool it, place it in a container with some foil over the top and wait 24-48 hours
+1 to this!!! It is simple and effective.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post

And it will save Revvy from answering an "airlock isn't bubbling post"

Quick Reply