Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does Wheat Extract Beer have a bunch of fiber in it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
Crash 2006
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Does Wheat Extract Beer have a bunch of fiber in it?

I think everyone knows where this is going. Every time I drink like six 12oz bottles in the evening I ending having to use the restroom several times in the morning.

The beer is fine and kicks my ass if I drink to many. Maybe it is not fine? I don't know... Smells and tastes good to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you are drinking a wheat beer in the traditional fashion, cloudy and fully of yeast I'm willing to bet it's the yeast that is giving you the cleansing the next day.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+ 1 on the yeast being the culprit (or hero) here. Yeast is actually very good for you and full of vitamins and cleansing restorative powers.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Crash 2006
Recipes 

Do you mean it has not finished fermentation? I let my beer sit in the primary for a week and the secondary for two weeks or more. I usually don't check the gravity as I let it sit for so long on this beer type. It typically is completely fermented in ten days when I did check it, so that is why I quit.

I used a new yeast which is the Safale for wheat beers. I used Munton's Standard Ale Yeast for the previous batches. I can tell there is more of a spicy bitter taste with the Safale, not sure if I will use that again. There should not be a problem using Munton's yeast in a wheat beer correct? It makes it drink a lot smoother.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
clskinsfan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dont think its a problem using Safale or Muntons in a wheat beer. It would be more of an american style wheat instead of a Wit or Heffe.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #6
fivehoursfree
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I get the squirts if I drink 6 of any beer (well, if it is more substantial than Bud). With unfiltered, (ie, any homebrew and most good wheats) I end up with an increase in gas.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:16 AM   #7
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash 2006 View Post
Do you mean it has not finished fermentation?
No. Any beer that is unfiltered and unpasteurized contains live, albeit dormant after fermentation, yeast. Why do you think you can add sugar for priming and it gets carbonated?

Wheat beers are no different although commercial wheat beers tend to include the yeast because it goes so well with the beer.

I repeat though, this is a good thing.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:07 AM   #8
Righlander
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash 2006 View Post
Do you mean it has not finished fermentation? I let my beer sit in the primary for a week and the secondary for two weeks or more. I usually don't check the gravity as I let it sit for so long on this beer type. It typically is completely fermented in ten days when I did check it, so that is why I quit.

I used a new yeast which is the Safale for wheat beers. I used Munton's Standard Ale Yeast for the previous batches. I can tell there is more of a spicy bitter taste with the Safale, not sure if I will use that again. There should not be a problem using Munton's yeast in a wheat beer correct? It makes it drink a lot smoother.
If you don't take readings you should leave it in the primary for 2 weeks just to be safe. Then go to secondary

Old 11-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

When stationed in (the former) FRG, we noted "weizenfarts" the day after drinking hefe.

When I resumed the brewkettle this year there was a couple weeks there where my body got used to the live yeast again. I drove with the windows open.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 11-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
When stationed in (the former) FRG, we noted "weizenfarts" the day after drinking hefe.

When I resumed the brewkettle this year there was a couple weeks there where my body got used to the live yeast again. I drove with the windows open.
LMAO!!! I'm in the same boat. I'm coming back to brewing after a 13 year hiatus and woke myself up in the middle of the night a couple nights ago with an especially, um, let's say 'fragrant' "weisenfart." Luckily my wife slept through it.

Quick Reply