Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does trub/cold-break affect SG readings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
skunkmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Does trub/cold-break affect SG readings?

I'm guessing because the trub/cold-break is not in solution then it should not affect the SG of the wort. Is that correct?

If so, then does that mean that any proteins left in solution do contribute to the SG? Or are proteins so much lighter than sugars as to not be a factor?

However, if the trub/cold-break does affect SG, then is it significant and how do you deal with it?

(BTW, I am only on my 6th batch of homebrew but I've learnt so much from everyone here on HBT. Thank you to all who take the time and make the effort to post here. Us newbies really appreciate it.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Wellshooter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I usually let my wort settle for about 2 hours before I take a sample for SG. For exactly the reason of your question. Whether it makes a difference or not I can't say.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cold break, gravity, hydrometer reading, proteins, trub

Quick Reply